• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis - Advice needed/ UD Admitted

*Bex*

Mama Doe
Yesterday during the day Polo went off his food and had not eaten by himself all day. Up until now he has seen the vet 4 times and been given the following:

4 x metaclopramide (Yesterday afternoon, yesterday night, this morning and around 6pm this evening)
Baytril (Yesterday afternoon and this morning)
Painkiller (Last night and around 6.30pm this evening)
4 x doses of Fibreplex

I gave him a syringe feed this morning and this afternoon, both of which he took well.

He's stayed generally ok in himself although maybe slightly subdued. Within the past couple of hours he is sat looking as bright as usual. He is now eating strands of grass and i saw him nibble some hay. He's completely ignored any other food offered. I take it as a good sign he has eaten grass and some hay but not sure why he is ignoring everything else?

He pood overnight and this morning although they were slightly smaller than usual. He has pood throughout the day and in the past few hours but the poos are smaller still.

Is there anything else i can do to help him? Is it a sign he is on the mend when he's been nibbling bits, or worrying he's ignoring other foods? We have no idea what has brought it on, he's been examined by 2 vets with no obvious problem found.

Won't he eat any fresh herbs basil mint coriander etc or dandelions sending loads a nom nom vibes come on polo :love:

Nope, dandilions are his favourite but he is not interested in those, he hasn't had any basil or coriander either. All he seems to be nibbling is grass and i saw him eat some hay. So worried for him! He is never poorly.

No, i asked the vet twice about fluids today but he said he is ok for now :? He said he's been getting fluids when i have been feeding him.

Hi Bex,

I have a bunny with chronic tummy probs and I would agree that getting fluids on board would help. From experience, I would also try to syringe feed 4-5 ml every 2 hours until feeding is re-established.

All the best
Nickix

Thanks. I will be back in the morning and will make sure fluid is given. He is nibbling bits of hay still. I just feel so helpless towards him.

Hes been admitted this morning for fluids and GA to investigate teeth futher, abdominal xray and possibly bloods taken.

Vet has called and he's come round fine and i can get him after lunch. The vet will discuss the results of what she found when she sees me but the nurse i spoke to said the vet has done some work on his teeth. I'm hoping its nothing too bad as they are fine for me to bring him home.

I brought him home yesterday.

The vet said his teeth were very slightly overgrown on the bottom so she filed them down. His chest xray was clear, his abdominal xray showed food in his stomach and gas a bit further down which she thinks could be the problem and she took blood which we are awaiting results of today.
He came round from GA brilliantly and ate all the food I took in.
He gave us a scare when I got in as he laid in his carrier comepletely out of it. After about half an hour he came round, ate some food and drank a lot of water and hopped around. He gets very stressed in the car when he's well so the vet thinks this is what caused him to take a bit of a turn when I brought him home.

I'm sure he's eaten overnight as both bowls of food were almost empty - he lives with a nethie who eats very little. The night he took ill, both bowls were left almost untouched overnight.

He's pood overnight, although these were quite small but he's done more this morning and they are getting a bigger in size.

I've not seen him eat this morning but whenever anyone goes near he hops away, I think he thinks he's going to be picked up and prodded at.

Hopefully he's on the mend. If anyone who has any more experience could offer any advice I'd be really greatful.

I am glad he is home. I would allow him to chill out now, without too much intervention from anyone. Just keep an eye on input and output. It may be that now his teeth are sorted all he now needs is to get back into his normal routine. So try to observe him from a distance rather than in a too obvious (to him) way. I often use a strategically placed mirror if I need to try to observe a Bunny but I dont want them to realise I am doing so.

The gas in his tum will hopefully disperse now he is eating again.

Yeah, im trying not to go over to him too much but to also keep as close an eye on him as possible. They live outside in a shed/run and they've both been out in the run all morning which is a bit unusual but if thats where he feels happiest at the moment then i will leave him to it. He's currently sat quietly with his front legs tucked under looking like a loaf of bread not doing a lot.

The vet gave me 2 syringes of metaclopramide and showed me how to inject. I gave him one last night with his painkillers as instructed but after speaking to her today she said to hold off on the other one as it appears he has eaten overnight.

This is so stressful, Jane i have no idea how you do it!!

Back