• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vet meds suppliers or medical wholesalers - we need to find a medicine again!

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
our vets is having trouble getting hold of more parvolex. the other vet who have been supplying it to us are also having trouble now aswell.

i have emailed vet uk and vetscription to ask if they could help find some and stock it for us.

is there anywhere else we could try?

it's the only thing that has worked for matt and we have tried so many things. so i'm getting worried.

or if anyone could ask their vets or give us the contact details that would be great. then we can try and find out who supplies them aswell.

thanks. :wave:

Last edited:
Is it an injection? It seems you can get it from online human chemist sites so maybe your vet could write you a prescription to collect from a pharmacy :?

Is it an injection? It seems you can get it from online human chemist sites so maybe your vet could write you a prescription to collect from a pharmacy :?

the label says 'parvolex injectable' but that's all it says.

i'll have a look at some online human chemist sites. :wave:

i've emailed some chemists aswell to see if they would be willing to talk with the vet about possibly supplying to them for us. fingers crossed we can find some.

i think i only have 13ml left. :shock::shock:

i've emailed some chemists aswell to see if they would be willing to talk with the vet about possibly supplying to them for us. fingers crossed we can find some.

i think i only have 13ml left. :shock::shock:

As the vets only use specific suppliers when we need a medication only available from a chemist the vet has to write us a prescription and then we take that to the chemist to get the meds :D

Good luck x

I'll ask my vets for you. :)

As the vets only use specific suppliers when we need a medication only available from a chemist the vet has to write us a prescription and then we take that to the chemist to get the meds :D

Good luck x

that would be great if we could do that. :D the other vets who supplied it wouldn't post it out so o/h had to get buses to get it - usually took him 4-5hours! :shock:

My vets said:

"I am not familiar with the name parvolex. Do you know what's in it, what it's used for and/ or who makes it. There may be an alternative available."

Do you want me to send you their email address so you can contact them directly?

What's in it is here:
http://home.intekom.com/pharm/aspen-p/parvolex.html

It is used to treat paracetamol overdose so you will be able to get it or an equivalent from somewhere.

You can get it in tablet form but according to this:
http://www.dbh.nhs.uk/Library/Patient_Information_Leaflets/WPR32830 Acetyicisteine.pdf
it has to be imported from Germany.

If your local pharmacy can't help, your best bet may be to ask your vet to contact your local hospital pharmacy and ask who supplies them. I would expect that a hospital would have the injectable form for dealing with paracetamol overdoses.

My vets emailed back again:

"have made some enquiries for you- are have Parvolex on our wholesaler list which is NVS- I am sure your friend's vet could ring their wholesaler and get it in as a special order if it's not on their usual list.
good luck"

thanks everyone. our vets have tried nvs which is who they used to use and they said they can't get it from there. or maybe they just don't want to because they don't have their account with them anymore and don't want to pay the extra charges for one off deliveries. it's not the vet and the reception staff who are being awkward, it's the practice manager in charge of all that side of things. basically she is saying my pets aren't worth getting any in for. she won't even speak to my o/h on the phone. she's weird.

anyway, pharmacy2u.co.uk emailed us back and they said they can get it so we have emailed them all the details and then they will get in touch again to get the vets details so they can talk to the vet and get the prescription and the parvolex will be sent to the vets for us. which i am glad about because it comes in these stupid little glass tubes which smash so easily when you try and get the parvolex out. so the vets usually transfer it into vacutainers for us.

so hopefully it will be sorted soon. :)

eta:

jenova - i can't believe how nice your vets have been. our vet and the staff have been trying to sort it out for us for ages, as we have had to go to another vets at least 6/7 times now and they did it as a favour for matt but it's the practice manager is useless and doesn't care at all. we've been treated really badly over this whole thing and in the end she just didn't want to say it comes down to budget and my pets aren't worth it business wise. :evil: the vet is amazing but what's the point in him finding treatment for matt and then the practice manager refusing to get any. :roll: rant over, sorry :oops:

Last edited:
Another alternative might be a compounding chemist/pharmacist. That is what our vet has used for quite a few years to obtain cisapride.

pharamacy2u got back in touch to say there is a long term manufacturing problem with parvolex so they are unable to get any.

the vet did mention a while ago that even hospitals are tending to use hypertonic saline now instead and it seems that parvolex is becoming harder to get hold of.

i am worried now. the vet said we can try amikacin again nebulised but i just can't see anything else working. it took so long to find a combination that worked for matt.

we have emailed more places and have found some to ring aswell so hopefully we can find some.

thank you, i was soooo relieved to get the email. just got to get a prescription sent to us now, email them the details so they can add it to their site and then we purchase it and get it sent. the thing is though, it comes in these silly little glass tubes that always break so i think we will get it sent to the vets so they can transfer it to vacutainers for us and then sent to us. such a drama but at least we can get some. :D

really strange because nvs emailed me back and said there is a manufacturing supply issue. pharmacy2u said that aswell and our vets usual supplier have said it aswell. yet vetuk can seem to get it. :? unless they just have some left over stock.

i don't know what we will do if we can't get hold of any in the future. :?

vet uk emailed again and changed their minds about getting any for us :(

but we found another medical supply place online and managed to sort out getting it from them. the vets have to fax the prescription and ring to discuss the details and then it will be sent to the vets for us.

we have to buy double the amount as a minimum but it's half the price for double! :shock: we basically pay £1 per ml of parvolex! :shock: now we get double the amount for half the price! :D

the vet is doing the prescription tomorrow and then they will fax it over then we have to wait for it to be delivered. i need it to hurry up though, matt really needs it. :(

Why don't you contact the manufacturer. They should be able to give you the correct info about whether it is still available and which wholesalers have it if it is.

Back