• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear wax

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Lilly has loads of earwax in her ears. The vet didn't seem too concerned and gave me some logic ear cleaner and said to use that to loosen it up and everything should be fine.

I don't know much about excess earwax and bunnies, is it damaging to them? Irritating (Lilly doesn't seem too bothered by it)? Painful? Can it lead to further problems? Is there anything else I can or should be doing as well as using the logic ear cleaner? Also the logic stuff says to use it whenever required, how often do people who've used it before tend to apply it? Lilly hates having it put in so I also don't want to stress her out too much :(

A certain amount of wax is a normal finding, however if there is a large build up it can predispose the Rabbit to an ear infection. This is especially the case with Lop Eared Rabbits. Also, excessive amounts of wax can be irritating and the Rabbit may shake his/her head a lot and scratch his/her ears. I would ask the Vet how frequently he/she wants you to use the ear cleaner, it will depend on how much of a wax build up there is.

A certain amount of wax is a normal finding, however if there is a large build up it can predispose the Rabbit to an ear infection. This is especially the case with Lop Eared Rabbits. Also, excessive amounts of wax can be irritating and the Rabbit may shake his/her head a lot and scratch his/her ears. I would ask the Vet how frequently he/she wants you to use the ear cleaner, it will depend on how much of a wax build up there is.

Thanks for the reply, the vet said "use as directed on the bottle" :roll: she's uppy eared so that's at least a bonus here. The vet seemed to think it was quite a big build-up and I think it looks so too, it looks like a plug in her ear, I'm surprised she can even hear!! I'll keep treating her and monitoring it. She does scratch her ears more than Harvey scratches his so maybe it is bothering her a little :( but she seems generally very happy, runs around, binkies, eats everything, asks for fusses, so I don't think it's bothering her too much. I reckon I'll keep going with the ear medicine over the weekend and then see if it's getting better, I suppose it doesn't just magically improve with only a few uses!!

Can you very gently use your little finger nail to remove any of it? this is what I do with Button when he gets waxy, as the vet suggested - but I do it very slowly and carefully to make sure if he shakes his head it won't hurt him. It's a pretty disgusting job though.

I'll give it a go :thumb: she is not one for being restrained though and will nip if I do so :roll: but she might stay still enough if I give her something to nom on :lol:

Back