• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soil/digging trays

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
After seeing how much Molly loves rolling around in fresh compost when she's free ranging, I thought its be nice for her to have a digging box in her run. Her birthday is coming up soon so it's the perfect time.

What does everyone use for a tray? And can I just fill it with normal compost? Are there any risks?

I bought a shallow garden planter for mine and just stuck ordinary compost in it. They absolutely love it! If I remember I'll post a pic later :)

I used to use a covered cat litter tray, it kept most of it contained :lol: but Santa was weeny, it probably wouldn't be big enough for many bunnies.

I've been thinking about a 'digging box' for my buns, as they love digging on the carpet / floor... but OH thinks it would just encourage them to dig everywhere, also they'd get really mucky. What are people's opinions on this? I think it could be fun for them...

Diggy boxes don't have to be filled with soil if they're indoors. Shredded paper, screwed up paper to name but 2 options. Obviously make sure they don't eat said paper though. Woodshavings would just go everywhere too although won't get trodden into carpet and therefore would be easy enough to hoover up.

Diggy boxes don't have to be filled with soil if they're indoors. Shredded paper, screwed up paper to name but 2 options. Obviously make sure they don't eat said paper though. Woodshavings would just go everywhere too although won't get trodden into carpet and therefore would be easy enough to hoover up.

Brian eats shredded paper :roll:

She loves to roll and dig in the little flower beds in the garden so I think if I got her a compost box she would be quite impressed. Ive noticed she likes to lie on the dirt to keep cool too.
I wouldn't have to worry about mess since it'd be in their run.

photos

Finally got around to adding a couple of snaps of the girls enjoying their diggy box:

Thumper's laying down in the litter tray. Nice :roll:
diggybox.jpg

newdiggybox.jpg

Most of it gets dumped on the floor in their run, but that's okay as it's outside so just gets swept up and dumped back in! I'm sure they've had a wee in it and there's lots of poops :? I'll change the compost periodically though. They love it!

Mine have a large underbed storage box for digging. They are indoors rabbits. The tray is filled with cat litter. I use the wood type, which is safe. I hide dry food in it and they dig away like crazy to find it.

Back