• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth root abscesses

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone had a bunny who has a dental abscess on the roof of the mouth and if so do you know if it was caused by a tooth root.

Heather has been battling an abscess there for the last month and the vet thinks it could now be root related. But I have never heard of a root abscess developing there before :?

She has been started on Ceporex today after other antibiotics have failed so fingers crossed.....

I have known of a Rabbit who developed an abscess in that sort of location, but it was due to a penetration injury, a piece of wood apparently.

I have not known a bunny with an abscess there, but just wanted to say that I have always used Ceporex for abscesses and have had great results so fingers crossed for Heather.

You could also try feeding her some manuka honey?

I have known of a Rabbit who developed an abscess in that sort of location, but it was due to a penetration injury, a piece of wood apparently.

A penetration injury is what I thought would cause it too but then an abscess like that often heals quite quickly too :? It also appeared at the same time that she started having major dental problems. I even thought maybe the vet had caused it when they did the dental :oops: But then it wouldn't have been an abscess straight away it would need time to develop :?

I have not known a bunny with an abscess there, but just wanted to say that I have always used Ceporex for abscesses and have had great results so fingers crossed for Heather.

You could also try feeding her some manuka honey?

Thanks Kermit, I think Ceporex is pretty good too so yes fingers crossed :D

Odd location? :? Has she had dental Xrays? Are they thinking that a root has curled right around or has some how infected the palate of the top jaw - in which case osteomyelitits? :?

Odd location? :? Has she had dental Xrays? Are they thinking that a root has curled right around or has some how infected the palate of the top jaw - in which case osteomyelitits? :?

No, which is annoying as if I had had this conversation with the vet before her dental yesterday I would have asked for them. But until she needs another dental I am not going to put her through a GA just for x-rays. She is 9 years old at the very least and her body is generally getting more frail with age.

No, which is annoying as if I had had this conversation with the vet before her dental yesterday I would have asked for them. But until she needs another dental I am not going to put her through a GA just for x-rays. She is 9 years old at the very least and her body is generally getting more frail with age.

How annoying! :evil: Oh well, hopefully the Ceporex will hit the spot xx

Back