• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Home from spay - UD some malformed, but firm, poops?

Kavanne

Mama Doe
Sapphire had her spay today and she's back home. She's eaten some herbs, baby corn and a fenugreek crunchy. She also had a brief nibble on some hay. Still not interested in pellets. Is this OK to keep her going? She's weed and eaten some cecals/left some others. Just paranoid before I go to sleep!

Last edited:
Sounds like she is getting going.

Did the vet give you any pain relief for her?

Apparently she had a long lasting injection (48hrs)? I do have metacam from her funny ear a few weeks ago but she said call if I think I need to use it.

(And this is Twickenham vets!)

Well she has picked at some food, has she passed any poo's?

I would be tempted to leave her to rest and get up and check on her during the night.

Mine were on metacam for almost a week after their spay, so I'd personally be inclined to use what you have AFTER the 48hr injection has timed out - don't want to overdose your bunny.

As for the eating, she's nibbling so appears interested so I wouldn't worry. My vet said that if they're not eating by the next morning, take them back, but that doesn't appear to be the case for you either (mine nibbled once back home too).

Bunnies don't actually need pellets so I wouldn't worry on that score. I recall that after my c-sections I simply didn't fancy chocolate - and I love the stuff! She's out of sorts, sore, probably confused as to what's happened and will take a day or so to get back to normal. Providing she's eating something and a little bit more as time progresses, she'll be fine.

However, only you know your bunny. If you are worried, phone your vet.

My Matilda took a good 2-3 days to eat properly, and a good 5-6 days before she was eating her normal amount of foods, I was also panicking like crazy, but in fact she was fine, just try her on any foods, any herbs and veg! I think I tried about 10 different types from mint to peppers, parsley, cucumber anything to see if she would eat it! X

:shock: Can't believe it. Today she's basically normal! She's hopped up onto the bed (which gave me heart attack), eaten pellets and making lots of poops. She must be eaten caecotrophs as I haven't seen any left during the night.

I hope this continues!!

That's good news.

Best to prevent her from jumping u and down until she's given the all clear at her post op check up, 10 days? That's what I was told anyway, no stairs, no ramps, no jumping up.

That's good news.

Best to prevent her from jumping u and down until she's given the all clear at her post op check up, 10 days? That's what I was told anyway, no stairs, no ramps, no jumping up.

They said there's no need for a post op check unless I think there's something wrong (to avoid stress for her) but yeah, she hasn't attempted the bed again since so I think maybe it did hurt a bit!

They said there's no need for a post op check unless I think there's something wrong (to avoid stress for her) but yeah, she hasn't attempted the bed again since so I think maybe it did hurt a bit!

Oh, they usually see them at 10 days at my vet to check wound is healed (Maisy had got through the glue and pulled on a stitch which needed snipping off) and give them the go ahead to get back to hay bedding, ramps.

Yes Doughnut had her stitches taken out after 10 days too, just to check everything was fine etc. She jumped up on a shelf as soon as I got her home, which gave me a heart attack before I confined her to her hutch.

She also had a weeks worth of metacam but sounds like your bun is doing great as she didn't eat until the following day so I was very stressed!

Yes Doughnut had her stitches taken out after 10 days too, just to check everything was fine etc. She jumped up on a shelf as soon as I got her home, which gave me a heart attack before I confined her to her hutch.

She also had a weeks worth of metacam but sounds like your bun is doing great as she didn't eat until the following day so I was very stressed!

I asked about stitches but apparently it's all done inside with dissolvables and they just use glue for the last skin closure. Very nifty I think!

Ours had post-op check-up after about a week/10 days but their stitches were also the ones that dissolve so didn't need removing (less stress/pain for bunny).

Please try not to let her jump/stretch for a good few days though as she could easily tear her wound open. Not pretty.

I think they used glue for the inside part and outside normal stitches.

Pleased she's OK, it's such a stressful time, mainly for us it seems :D

Saph has seemed a bit more reserved today but would take treats from me, nothing else though. Vet said yes to giving some metacam today and if necessary tomorrow.

Well, blow me, 15 mins after metacam given she's hopped out and straight to the hay!!

Doughnut had meds for a week, sure she didn't need it that long but nice to know she wasn't in pain and so kept eating and eating:D

I had to take Saph back to Twickenham this morning as when I woke up there were loads of cecals about, she would only nibble a tiny bit of basil leaf and in the carrier on the way to the vet she got full diarrhoea. They are keeping her in today for me and I may be able to pick her up later if she improves, otherwise they'll keep her overnight.

They're doing fibreplex and pro fibre pellets as well as more metacam (half dose now as I gave her a dose about 4pm yesterday).

She is still perky but she has lost about 150gms since Tuesday

We are home and on fibreplex and meta cam. I have metaclop to give if she stops passing poos. Syringe feeding every hour tonight. I so hope she pulls through :(

Right now she is due another feed but she is grooming herself do
I don't want to interrupt. Will give her a few mins!

Back