• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

Kellylou89

Warren Scout
A few weeks ago my cousin was rabbit sitting for us because i was away for a couple of days .. she cleaned them out and when i returned saw she she used shredded paper she had shredded in a shredder and bought over to use for the buns bedding .. when i ipened the bag and picked some us i could see it was pretty dusty! i noticed my rex katy was sneezing a fair bit with it so i removed all the bedding cleaned the cage and then put her back on the usual wood shavings and hay as we was out of straw .. she stopped sneezing for a while but since we have had this strange humid weather she has started sneezing again!.
today she had an episode of a good few sneezes i heard her while i was checking on some kits so i removed her from the hutch and checked her over, her eyes are fine and bright, her teeth are fine, her ears are fine and her bottom is spotlessly clean .. She eats her food fine so much so her kits get a head up the bum if theyre in the way lol and drinks fine.
i have put her out in the run while i clean out her hutch and give it a spray, im wondering could it be her substrate thats doing it? or could it be something else i.e weather?
none of the other buns are doing it and none of her kits are doing it.
i have only heard the odd 5 or 6 sneezes since shes been out her hutch and in the run but she seems to have calmed down! .. does anybody know how i can help? i was thinking maybe not putting substrate in and just putting her on sheets of newspaper? and only putting her hay in a hay rack out her way etc.

It could possibly be the shavings they are not much good for the bunnys respitory system try using newspaper with hay on top as other members have suggested to others hope your bunny gets better soon :)

It could possibly be the shavings they are not much good for the bunnys respitory system try using newspaper with hay on top as other members have suggested to others hope your bunny gets better soon :)

what is the best substrate to use may i ask? .. thankyou i will remove the shavings =)

I use care fresh for my indoor bunny with hay ontop in the litter pan and I use wood pellets in my outdoor bunnys litter pan and hay every where else :)

Can i just ask .. someone i spoke to suggested soaking the hay to get the dust out leaving it to dry and then giving that to her
Can this be done or is this not a good idea?

Can i just ask .. someone i spoke to suggested soaking the hay to get the dust out leaving it to dry and then giving that to her
Can this be done or is this not a good idea?

This is what we used to do with horses who had dust allergies, so in theory it would work with the buns too, just more work.
My bun is quite sensitive to dust too, even dust extracted hay seems to make her sneeze, I know it's not an infection or anything because vet checked her over today lungs and all is fine. :thumb:
Best hay I found is surprisingly Tesco everyday value, it seems not to be dusty. And only reason I tried it was cause I work in the phone shop in tesco and was desperate one day :)
So i'd recommend that for bedding, unless anyone has different experiences.

This is what we used to do with horses who had dust allergies, so in theory it would work with the buns too, just more work.
My bun is quite sensitive to dust too, even dust extracted hay seems to make her sneeze, I know it's not an infection or anything because vet checked her over today lungs and all is fine. :thumb:
Best hay I found is surprisingly Tesco everyday value, it seems not to be dusty. And only reason I tried it was cause I work in the phone shop in tesco and was desperate one day :)
So i'd recommend that for bedding, unless anyone has different experiences.

Thankyou :D .. i was actually looking at that today lol i will give that a go :) .. just waiting for her hay to dry before i put it and her back in the hutch :)

Try this for dust free hay http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/index.html it's really good quality and affordable and it will keep a small family business up and running :)

Thankyou for that, ive just been looking at it and possibly order some when im paid! :) thankyou.

Update on Katy -
I completely cleared out her hutch yday sprayed it etc and lay newspaper down and a fine cover of straw (no dust says on bag but gave it a shake to be extra sure) in the bedding area because she has her kits too.
This morning while in the sheds feeding all the buns i have only heard her sneeze ONCE i am hoping all it is is a dust allergy and that it will clear up with constant usage of only paper and dust free straw/hay i will not be using wood shavings for her again!.
If it carries on or gets any worse she is up the vets, i may take her anyway just to be extra sure!.
If its a dust allergy how long do you reckon untill it will clear up properly?
She has 6 kits they are 7wks old now and i have had to remove the males today, One because they have new homes next week so need to get used to not been around mom and 2 they were getting too big to still live in the same hutch and i was wondering if it was getting to cramped that was making her stress etc.
She is only with her 2 daughters now, 1 of which is staying with us and the other has a possible home next week.

Last edited:
Back