• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch renovation no.1!

catherine09

Mama Doe
Following on from my other thread in GC, I have now managed to get hold of a 4ft by 2ft hutch from my local freecycle, and will be attempting to renovate it for guinea pig use over the next couple of weeks.

Here it is - it's a manky cobwebby old thing but is very sturdy, not chewed at all and structurally sound. All the wood is in good condition, so it needs a sand/repaint, new felt roof, new mesh, new ironmongery and vinyl floor.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

Does make me sad that a rabbit was kept in it for 7 years :(. I also thought to myself, if I can take horrible things like these out of freecycle it will stop them being snapped up by people wanting a cheap rabbit. I emailed the lady and stated what I intended to do with it and that I would be doing it on a more regular basis to help rescues and she was more than happy to give it to me rather than the other people that emailed her for it...people that may have stuffed a rabbit in there and left it....

I love your project - really hope it works out!

Just a thought - do you reckon it'd be possible to join together two 4x2 hutches to make 8 foot long ones for buns? That would take twice as many out of circulation, and could possibly be transported in two halves? I have no idea how much extra work that would be, or if it'd even be do-able, but the thought popped into my head....

I love your project - really hope it works out!

Just a thought - do you reckon it'd be possible to join together two 4x2 hutches to make 8 foot long ones for buns? That would take twice as many out of circulation, and could possibly be transported in two halves? I have no idea how much extra work that would be, or if it'd even be do-able, but the thought popped into my head....

Hey - yes that is a good idea!

I think, for looks and ease, they would have to be two identical hutches so that I could line up and take the sides off, and also line up the roof and felt it all in one to stop leaking in the middle. It's definitely something to think about tho :thumb:

My OH has a people carrier, so I'm hoping larger hutches will fit in his car very easily, but I still think a 6ft one would have to flatpack, so I'm limited to ones that are screwed together easily then!

Work so far;

• Taken chicken wire mesh off front door
  • Removed felt roof and all roofing nails
  • Removed hinges and twist locks
  • Taken out floor
  • Sanded main hutch and front doors down

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

The urine stains were really bad, it was caked on :shock: - I've got a lot of it off by sanding but I think I'll have to re-sand that bit before I start painting :roll:

Off to B & Q now to get a few supplies :)

What a difference a coat of paint makes :shock:

It's had a base coat, and will probably need one, maybe two more coats. Inside will be painted blue/white, the outside main frame is all blue, and both doors will have detail of white on them.

I've gone and bought all the bits now - including mesh, roof felt, new hinges, bolts, paint and vinyl it is going to cost about £15 to completely renovate :thumb:

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Got a bit more painting done today before it started raining!

Everything that is still wood coloured, will eventually be an off-white colour. It's had a second coat on the outside, and 2 coats on the inside bits now

IMG_0654.jpg

I wasn't going to paint the roof, but it looked so messy that it's had one coat (not having 2 as it's hardly ever seen!) The wooden batons at the bottom have only had one coat as the floor rests on them so they won't be seen
IMG_0655.jpg

This is the bedroom door (frame will be white), main door and bedroom divider

IMG_0656.jpg

I'm starting to become amazed at how well this is going......I never thought on first impressions of the hutch that I would ever be able to scrub it up to look this nice :D:oops:

Also - what sort of price range do you reckon this is worth when finished (will have 2 very hefty bolts on the front, square wire galvanised mesh, new felt roof and matching vinyl inside)? It has cost me just over £15 for all the renovations, and the actual hutch is very solid and well made

That looks so good - would you like to come over to my place and do a bit of renovation on my hutch and run? Bet you think I'm joking.

That looks so good - would you like to come over to my place and do a bit of renovation on my hutch and run? Bet you think I'm joking.

I actually wouldn't mind! I find it so satisfying taking something that would originally be tipped (not yours - this one!!) and turning it into a lovely home for a guinea pig (or rabbit if I get a larger hutch)

I wouldn't say I'm artistic in any way - I hated art at school, but I think I might have found a type of art I do love :D

I actually wouldn't mind! I find it so satisfying taking something that would originally be tipped (not yours - this one!!) and turning it into a lovely home for a guinea pig (or rabbit if I get a larger hutch)

I wouldn't say I'm artistic in any way - I hated art at school, but I think I might have found a type of art I do love :D

I think there's something very satisfying (almost relaxing) about doing something with your hands (if you know what I mean) and completely unrelated to work/study.

I think there's something very satisfying (almost relaxing) about doing something with your hands (if you know what I mean) and completely unrelated to work/study.

Yes - the painting is very relaxing :)

It also sort of ties in with my entrepreneurial nature - making something out of nothing etc etc, and of course my love of small furries and trying to encourage welfare :thumb:

Problem numero 1 has been discovered!

Vinyl tiles I had spare which were going to go on the floor will be no good. The floor is very ridged and tiles won't stick to it properly - ringing around for some sheet vinyl offcut at the minute, hopefully can get it for free!!!

Finished!!

Been a bit delayed due to the awful weather, but I'm pleased to report that the renovations are finished :D

Cost just under £20 to renovate - going to put on eBay with a start price of £35 (and state for G.P's only!). Does that seem a reasonable price?

From this:

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

To this!:

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Wow that is fantastic, what a great project I think anyone getting that for £35 would be getting a bargain, but hopefully it'll shoot up!!!

Back