• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about my bun!!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Bear has been making a funny noise when he breathes for a few weeks now, it comes and goes, almost like he's wheezy and he always has a clear discharge from his nose dried on to the fur around his nose.
My partner took him to the vet, who did a full health check on him, and apparently he's fine! He said not to worry about the discharge as it is clear in colour, and annoyingly he wasn't making his wheezing noise when my partner took him so the vet couldn't hear it!
Should I be worried?!
As I said it comes and goes, some days he's absolutely normal, other days every time he moves he makes this wheezy noise.
He doesn't seem "unwell" at all, still running around, and eating (even though he is a fussy eater)
I really don't know what to do! I don't want to take him back to the vet if he says there's nothing wrong with him, plus it costs a fortune! But I would be beside myself if something happened to him!
My partner thinks I'm being an overprotective mother, but surely that cant be normal..... can it?!

My first suspicion would be either an allergy or snuffles. If it's the latter, a long course of antibiotics should clear it up.

It's not normal and you are right to be worried.
What bedding does he have?

Does he have crusty fur on the inside of his paws as well?

He has straw at the moment and sawdust in his litter tray.
He doesn't have any of the discharge on his paws, but I have noticed he has something occasionally in the fur under his chin.

Sawdust should be avoided as it's very dusty and can cause all sorts of respiratory problems. Maybe try using something different instead and see if that makes any difference? He could be allergic to it.

Wood shavings are. Not recommended as they can cause respiratory problems. You could use megazorb, care fresh or just newspaper and hay.

Did the vet thoroughly check his teeth?

Its wood shavings not sawdust so is dust free. But I'm sending my partner to the shop today to get some carefresh see how he gets on with that!
I'm not sure if the vet thoroughly checked his teeth as my partner took him and he wasnt as thorough as I would have been!

That was why I was asking, wood shavings/sawdust are well known for causing runny noses and other respiratory problems. I would change that for something else to begin with and see how he is after a week or so.

As you can see there are loads of different things you can replace the wood shavings with. I use newspaper and hay in the litter trays. Hay is better than straw because it's got a lot more nutrients in it. Rabbit like to eat while they poo :)roll:) and straw is really got nothing in it, so it's kind of like eating cardboard.

Did the Vet check Bear's teeth ?

Given that you say he is a 'fussy eater' it may be that he has some Dental issues. Dental problems that involve tooth root elongation can present with rhinitis and occasional 'noisy breathing'

Thanks for all the advice guys!
I'm going to change him over to the carefresh this evening, see how he gets on with that, if no improvement get him straight down to the vets again.
Will let you know how I get on!

Took him back to the vet!

Yet again they said nothing was wrong with him!!!
But they did give him a long term antibiotic injection.

I also changed him over to the carefresh and he is eating his hay as am putting it in a bowl rather than a rack lol!

Im really happy to say though he is BETTER!!!! :D

Dont know weather it was the injection, the bedding or the hay, but I dont care as he is better!
Didnt realise how ill he was as hes hopping around like never before!

That's so good to hear!

If he starts to get worse it might be worth looking for another vet for a second opinion. An exotics vet or someone recommended for being good with rabbits would be best. Rabbits count as exotic pets for some reason so not all vets are totally clued op on them.

But hopefully he'll stay better!

Back