• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Empty hutch wasted space!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
My rabbits have a completely bare hutch at the moment, whatever I put in there (normally newspaper and hay) gets pulled out and dragged down the ramp! It seems such a wasted space so I was thinking of putting a digging box filled with soil in the bedroom as this way it keeps it in one place but could do with some other ideas. Do anyone elses rabbits do this!?

Only one of mine does this so every every morning when I feed I'll grad a bit of sawdust and stuff fromm the bottom and put it back in. He pulls it out again but it gives him something to mess about with.

Only one of mine does this so every every morning when I feed I'll grad a bit of sawdust and stuff fromm the bottom and put it back in. He pulls it out again but it gives him something to mess about with.

yes this is what i keep doing, I couldn't be bothered this morning though so left it bare had to be in work early!

Rabbits love a bit or bare earth for napping on - particularly in hot weather. That's what they are creating when they shift all the bedding/litter out of the way, so a digging box or tray of soil might be the perfect solution - give it ago and let us know :)

Rabbits love a bit or bare earth for napping on - particularly in hot weather. That's what they are creating when they shift all the bedding/litter out of the way, so a digging box or tray of soil might be the perfect solution - give it ago and let us know :)

:wave:will keep you posted tamsin!

Couldn't find anything large and deep enough to put in the bedroom so resorted to a washing up bowl filled with some soil. Also put their lounging log on half the base of the floor, hung a hay ball from the cage and added a bit of hay. Love it when I rearrange things and they investigate!

I use washing up bowls for everything - litter tray, digging boxes, etc. they are soo handy!

Washing up bowls! What a brilliant idea, I'd never have thought of that, yet it is so obvious now you say it!

Santa used to have a covered cat litter tray as a diggy box as she used to fling the soil everywhere. She had so much fun, so a covered box at least kept it mostly contained!

thats a good idea actually a covered litter tray, plus keeps the soil dry! Do you leave the door on the litter tray?
raining here which is sooo annoying as I put lots of hay balls and racks about which are probably now soaked :censored:

Back