• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I always put off doing the injections

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Really don't like doing them. :(
And for some reason when I give Grim his the penicillin won't come out. It's a fresh needle but it's something in his scruff stopping it... :? Sometimes I have to inject him a couple of times, it really doesn't bother him, but it bothers me. My poor little Grimmy pin cushion. :(

Smoo is nice and easy but it does bother her and makes her flinch so sometimes she tries to run away. Last time she tried to back away, into the needle. :(

Oh... I just realised Smoo's had her eight weeks of injections. I'm not sure if she's supposed to have more. I should have rung the vets today. I'm going to go check her abscess and see if it's shrunk any more.

The Norocillin is quite thick, I know sometimes the nurse had to jab Dexter twice as it didn't come out (I am allergic so couldn't do it). So it isn't Grim, it is just the norocillin.

I know how you feel, at work I will happily inject anything but hate hate hhate doing anything to any of mine!!

I have the same issue with penicillan injections and it getting stuck in the syringe. I have also had it burst all over Inca!

I got the vets to make the injections up with the larger sized needle, I never had any issues with them after that.

I hated doing injections! I was always so worried. The syringe would get stuck for me sometimes as well.

Once we drew the depocillin into the syringe, we always left it at room temperature for ~30 minutes to let the depocillin warm a little upon instruction from our vet, its easier when its warmer as it is closer to the body temperature of bunny.

That said, i did still blow a few syringes over Gingers back and spent the next hour panicked adn washing her off :oops:

I hated doing injections too. When you think it's in properly and then you see it all pouring out the other side... :shock: I found warming it in my hands first helped. I have a lot more sympathy for vets now I know how hard it is! Hope Smoo doesn't need any more injections xx

Oh dear, his just reminded me of many years ago when I was young and stupid and had to give my bridge bun injections. I ended up putting the needle right through the other side of the skin :( He wasn't even bothered :shock: I was horrified! I hate injections

Those are the problems I had with Mischa too and we weren't instructed to leave it in the fridge. I did ask but was told it wasn't necessary. Mischa also backed into the syringe once :cry:

I'm using norocillin now which doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Much better because my OH is allergic to penicillin and I had to ban him from one of the veg drawers where I kept it. :lol:

Last edited:
hehe :)

Anyhoo, back on topic.....I have never known that I had to keep any of my injections in the fridge!

It's to do with the compound the penicillin is combined with. Depocillin has to be kept in the fridge, norocillin has to be kept below 25 degrees celsius.
On another tangent, doesn't penicillin smell horrible? :shock:

Try pulling the skin upwards to 'tent' it more. I find the penicillin wont come out if I haven't tented the skin enough and the needle ends up sticking into the skin on the other side, rather than in the space in between

i hated doing bisc and matts penicillin injections. bisc wasn't too bad but matts skin is so tough and i really struggled and it hurt him aswell. then the needle would block or go right through and the liquid would come out again. nightmare!

Back