• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been to the vets.

deb_h

Warren Scout
As some of you may have read i adopted a bunny last week. Anyway today we have been to the vets. They have given her a myxo/vhd jab. Treatment for mites and also some drops for her eyes as they are a little icky. The vet wants to see us again in 2 weeks ti check on her eyes and weight as she is showing dental syptoms.
;)
So once we got home i emailed the girl i got her from letting her know she has had jabs and everything else the vet said. I was very shocked with her reply. 'she had a dental op last year'. I am sooo disappointed that she failed to tell me this prior to me adopting her or even when I told her I had booked the vets appointment :(

I have never delt with a dental bunny before. What should i expect? Is their anything i can do to help? I will be ringing our vets first thing to let them know the news. In the mean time any advice would be greatly appreshieted :)

;)

is she on a pellet diet and make sure she gets plenty of fbre to help try and wear the teeth down, she made need regular dentals being a dental bun, but the person you got her from should of told you her medical history

I know, I am gutted that she didnt tell me but it wouldnt have made much difference anyway. That said it would have been nice to have known what I was taking on and I could have told the vet everything today :(

Never mind, at least I know now and can give her all the help she needs :D

She is currently on the wag muesli stuff but I am trying to get her on to excel (not having much luck as she just eats around it). I have been introducing veg, herbs and some fruit since she arrived but she doesnt eat much of that either. I just sat with her with a bowl full of different things. She got very excited. Had a nice bit of apple and a little carrot. She is soooo sweet, it was really nice to just sit and listen her it is. She certainly enjoyed it, i also had sprouts, thyme, basil, parsley and sage in the bowl.

Going to go shopping for more veg tomorrow to see if I can tempt her with anything else. Anyone have any recommendations to what she may like that is high in fiber? She always has plenty of hay but tbh I dont think she eats much of it. I have seen her eating some of it though so not worrying too much just yet but any advice on how to encourage her to eat more would be great if anyone has any? :)

Last edited:
Rather than change her over on to the excel by mixing it with the wagg, you could try gradually reducing the wag until she's not getting any pellets. That should encourage her to eat hay. You can then slowly introduce a few nuggets at a time what ever food you want her on.

Thank you!! I will do it that way:)

Do you think she will come round?

I did plan on trying to bond her with my bonded pair but I think I may hold off until I know Lola is 100% (im dreading it anyway.lol). I have had them in runs next to each other though and they all get really excited and look as if they want to play together. Fingers crossed that's a good sign and when/if I do try to bond them they all get on.x

Back