• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are cat scratching posts safe for rabbits?

Saj

Alpha Buck
Hello

I was in the pet shop the other day picking up diddy bits in anticipation of my new rescued buns when I decided to get a cat scratching post for them. I thought it would be ideal for the rabbits to scratch their nails on and it had a platform for them to hop on and off, it was the roughy type material rather than soft fabric.

When I got to the till, the shopping assistant seeing my other stock of rabbity things said to me 'is that also for your rabbits?'. I said yes, proudly. She said 'oh, that wouldn't be suitable, they'd chew it and it wouldnt be good'. So I put it back (and they lost a sale!)

So what do you think rabbit fans - cat scratching posts, suitable or not????

I dont find them particularly 'unsafe' however, there are a couple of things to note;

a) if your rabbit can get up there, they can fall off.
b) most of the things that glue the material to the wooden posts are not safe for ingestion.

Just be careful.

thanks.

is there anything anyone knows about that would help rabbits to scratch on and keep their nails down naturally?

Patio concrete slabs are fantastic for rabbit claws! Either let them run around on your patio, if you have one - or just but a couple of slabs to pop in the run/ corner of their indoor set up.

I very rarely had to cut my Hazel's nails thanks to these - I don't think a cat scratching post would have worked tbh, only good for chewing!

I have a cat scratching post/ cat tree and they love it!! This is the one I have: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/small/small_cat_trees_height_80_cm/37574 and it's used as steps up to their shelf in the shed-

P5264659.jpg

They don't use it to keep their nails down, though, it's more of a climbing frame. If you were to get one, I'd make sure it's free of catnip (don't know what harm it would do, but best to be safe!)

As for wearing claws down, I find a good run on the patio does the trick- concrete seems to file them :lol:

I can't imagine a rabbit would use the post to scratch like a cat does? Having mine outside keeps their nails nice and trim.

whilst I;m on the subject,is there anything you can put in their run so they can dig safely (without it becoming an escape route?)

Back