• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP chins chewed icepod gel coming out

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
I am freaking out. Went to put the ice pod back in the fridge, as the chins sleep during the day and like the ice pod at night.

They have chewed all the edges and some of the gel was coming out. What is the gel ? Is it dangerous ? They are all fine.

Have no idea how long ago it was chewed, could have been yesterday.

Forgot to add the gel had oozed underneath the ice pod on the shelf I had to unscrew it and bin it.

Can this thread be kept in the health section. I know its about chinchillas but rabbits could chew through an ice pod and it could be helpful to others.

What a relief for you. Glad to hear it's non-toxic :thumb:

Thanks. Still not 100% happy its a liquid gel. They didn't say what that is, other than not toxic. I assume all small animals are likely to chew it so they would make sure its safe as possible. I am still not happy if they did ingest any of it.

If you are worried, give your vets a call and ask for some advice. I've done it before with the dog when he got hold of some chocolate and they gave me some things I could do to reduce the chances of him being poorly. It might just put your mind at ease!

Great news that it's non toxic!
I only ever use the stone chinchiller stone things with mine or a glass jar filled with ice cubes. I don't trust chinchillas in the slightest!
I also give them ice cubes to eat if it's hot and they love those. :)

Back