• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which Flystrike Method

Which one?

• Beaphar

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Rearguard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
ETA I do have two rabbits that are prone to sticky bums. One is overweight and middle aged. The other slimmer than she used to be and very elderly now.

I had this dilemma last year and after reading several threads on here about both treatments I opted for Beaphar Fly Guard. I think I was as worried about the strong chemicals in Rearguard as I was about the flystrike! However, I still chickened out of letting Daisy go outside :oops:

I had one of my buns rearguarded at the vet's a few weeks ago. The vet recommended it because Toby sometimes gets a sticky bottom. However, having now done a lot more reading up on here and elsewhere, I don't think I will be having it done again, as I hadn't realised before that as soon as you wash their bottom, the rearguard is no longer active as it gets washed off (at least that is what I understood from what I read).

I am now trying to protect them just with other methods (keeping all areas clean, fly netting, citronella etc, and washing bottoms when necessary).

I'm not sure which product is best though if you do choose to get it done.

I use f10 insecticidal wound spray which is around £10. It does have to be applied more frequently than rearguard though - every 2 weeks :)

Back