• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehabilitating a Lizard.

Lobo

Mama Doe
We were given the chance to rehabilitate this Bluetongue lizard. When she was found she had not eaten for a long time and was hiding in fear of a snake that had killed her litter mates. Apart from her extreme nervousness she was also assessed by a vet to not have sufficient fat reserves to survive the winter, so we took her in and attempted to build her up.

When she first came her spine and hips were protruding through loss of body condition.

DSCF0776R.jpg

Ten months later she had gone from 200gms to 500gms and grown about 5cms.

DSCF0933CR.jpg

wow! Well done! :D was she wild? will she be being returned to the wild?

We tried to release her back into the same area she came from a few times but she became very frightened and panicked, always coming back to me wanting to be picked up. As she is now not a suitable candidate for release we can hold her on a wildlife keeper's licence. She was initially frightened of my arm (probably associated it with the snake) and would run. Now when I put my arm into her enclosure to change a light etc. she will come straight over and climb on it.:D

ETA forgot to add she is now 46cms and weights over 700gms.:)

Last edited:
Yes you are right she is a skink, Tiliqua nigrolutea, common name Blotched Bluetongue or
simply Blotchy for the scale patterning. Usually if I refer to them as a skink I get asked what is a skink.

A short video of her eating.

Last edited:
awesome :shock::D I held the skinks at college, but my god they are strong :shock: and thier claws! :shock: Shes beautiful :love:

Back