• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

escaped rabbit

Hc1

Mama Doe
What's the longest time anyone has has an escapee return safely? My bunny got out on thurs when someone.was working on the garden (ironically rabbitproofing). She has disappeared before for 2.days several times. She.has look and.characteristics of wildiel andd is extremely fast and.will not.go to humans but am beginning to think she's not going to come home this time. We do have woods nearby which we have.searched several times but no foxes. Has anyone ever had a bun return after such a long time?

They do have a 'memory' location and may also follow a scent trail -so she may still come back - I suggest leaving out food etc (I am sure you already are) - and of course notifying all vets and putting posters up in area.

If you have anything that smells of her put it near the part of the garden she will be able to come back through.

Oh how sad and worrying for you :cry::cry: Yes bunnies mentally map their home territory, she may need to get near it enough to remember it but generally they will remember the way they got out even if they only do it once. Fingers crossed she comes home or you find her. How awful for you :cry: x

My bun was an escapee (from neighbours) who lived wild for 6 months in our veg patch :evil: and orchard. So she knew where she was though her territory was quite large. Then she escaped again just after she'd been moved from one part of the village to another and still found her way back to where she'd newly escaped. I was quite surprised by her capacity to roam but still find her way back. So don't give up hope. :) Bon courage.

I had one that escaped daily without me realising

Apparently she had been wandering the streets during the day and the neighbours had all seen her doing this for weeks

She always came home before I got back from work, so I hadn't noticed

I would suggest putting out food for her, I am sure she is coming and going as she pleases even if you don't see her

Also, does she have a companion ? That usually brings them back too

Thank you all. Your replies have given me hope. The last sighting of her was on Friday, so I have been really worried. She has 2 companions - her sister and another male rabbit - they have lived together for a year and a half. I will know if she is nearby even though I can't see her, as her sister will get all agitated.

Back