• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am fuming!! and REALLY worried!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Katie1504

Young Bun
Ok so some of you may know I have 7 piggies and 5 buns. They live outside all in double hutches and have really been enjoying the sun. I have them in the yard near the back door. (Not ideal but we are renting at the moment). I have been checking on them more with it been hot and making sure they had plenty of water (more than normal).

I have had a busy week but this started Friday. I was at work at 5 so the OH fed etc in the morning on Friday. I then checked them when I got home and spent some time with them etc and again early evening. Went to bed.

I fed yesterday and one of the piggies cages was open but pushed to. The 2 young ones who are very scared anyway. So the OH got a telling off. Then I realised I had checked them and it was closed. Anyway I put it down to my mistake.

This morning OH went to work at 5 am. I heard the door open and close.... I went back to sleep. 5 mins later he shouted for me to help him. The bottob door on one of the rabbit hutches (a pair) was open and they were both out. When I got down he had caught one and shut the door but the other was on the MAIN ROAD!!! Anyway we managed to get them both back but we deffinatly didnt leave that open!! 100% because I checked them all yesterday. So I think someone has come down and let them out! :( Anyone had this before?????????????????????????

Unfortunately yes...but I think my ex husband did it after he found out where I'd moved to after I left him. I was renting a house that had a garden enclosed with a low fence next to a communal area. In my case the consequences were fatal...a fox got them in the early hours of the morning and i was woken by the screams...will never forget it.

You need to put padlocks on the pen doors. :shock:

It's probably kids misbehaving... or someone going past after too many drinks and who thinks it's the height of funny behaviour - or could be some well-meaning pillock who doesn't like seeing animals in cages - but until you have chance to sit up and watch (concealed) and find out what's happening, you need to make sure they're safe.

Hope you're able to solve the problem effectively.

I would also suggest padlocks on all hutches. This will prevent the opportunist or passer-by ( but wouldn't have helped in my case as someone determined could still prize off the catch/bolt.)

Yes, it has happened to me. It's a really unpleasant experience. You were really lucky to get them back and unharmed. 2 of mine were taken last time it happened and were gone for the weekend. I got them back just as they were about to be dumped in a holdall.

I now have everything padlocked - runs and hutches. I either use the hasp and padlock fittings (if there is enough wood to attach them to) or fit big (1") cup hooks or eyelets and thread a cable type bicycle lock through them. Make sure it won't slip off / through the fittings when locked. Depending on the length of the wire, I tend to put 2 hooks on one side and one on the other (they just twist into the wood like a screw), then thread the cable diagonally or in a triangle shape to cover all opening doors on hutches.

I prefer those that you can use your own padlock so that I can get a set of keyed-alike locks. Saves messing around trying to find the right key for each one.

Some sort of CCTV may help, but won't stop it actually happening again if someone is determined. It may also have been a dog, cat or fox fiddling with the catches. Either way, padlocks will stop them. Good luck.

We also have padlocks on everything. Big ones with hasp's etc. however tbh someone intent on letting them out will come with good wire cutters and just cut through the mesh unless it is mega mega thick. We also have very obvious electric line around all of it against foxes but it also confuses people who are not sure why it is. Also security lighting very obvious. And that's in a crime free area on the outskirts of Cambridge!,!

My friend had pad locks but someone smashed the lock off and set a crazy dog on her buns. All obviously died. Some people are sick.

Padlock it up as secure as poss then set up a camera. When you find out who it is burn their house down :lol: dont tell the police they wont even get a slap on the wrist!

I used to put a combination lock on mine, it's not really as secure as the ones you need keys for but it should be enough to deter opportunists or kids (I got mine as the kids upstairs are little brats, so are their parents tbh:roll: but they never showed any interest)

I liked the combi as you don't need keys so no chance of ever losing them, also no chance of getting out to cage to realize you have forgotten them and most importantly imo is that a lot more people can be given access if needed, if we were out and it was really hot for example I could phone a friend give them the code and the buns would be sorted! Not that we ever had to do that... but it was nice knowing that there was not a problem in case of emergency.

I hope you catch whoever is doing this, it's beyond belief!!!

Ok.... So I am going to get some padlocks but for now I have cleaned them all out tonight and set all the locks so I will know if they have been messed with. I have also put a chain and lock around the gate and put a bench the other side of it. That is the best I can do tonight but I am worried. Will see how we go. I think I'll be up in the night checking.

This happened to my sister-in-law last year.

Her bun was let out during the night and a leaflet left in the hutch about keeping rabbits in hutches is like keeping them in coffins and rabbits should be left to run free.

It really upset all the family. It had happened to a couple of people in the village where she lives.

Some people obviously think rabbits should be wild, but dont understand that domestic rabbits cant live wild. They need to be pets. They couldnt look after themselves in the wild.

Uneducated people thinking they are doing good!

Rach x

some people are too stupid to understand that pets are other people's property and that they should stay away

but there have always been people that think it is their right to trespass and take...whether it is a purse...a pet...a child...a life

we talk about rats and foxes as vermin...but the real vermin stand upright on 2 legs

I never even knew things like this happened! I am really shocked. I am so pleased that they were both there and the OH went to work early. However, I am sure they really enjoyed hopping about say hello to all the other pets. I just cant wait unitl we move to our barn I am building a really big shed with outdoor runs attached so they can come and go all the time!!

Back