• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you know if you have placed an injection correctly?

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
As above really. I am having to inject Inky with Baytril (for a very mild chest infection) because he gets so stressed by taking it orally. I did my first one on my own today (my vet showed me what to do yesterday) and the liquid went in fine (I pulled back slightly first to make sure there was no blood).

Straight after, there felt like a bump under the skin (which I rubbed like the vet had told me to), does this sound like it was in the right place? Inky seemed totally unworried by the whole thing (he was munching a handful of grass), which I am pleased about.

Thanks,

FC x

Placing an injection in the scruff is quite easy and safe, and hard to do wrong =) As long as you pull back to check for blood it should be fine. Sometimes you may feel a little bump under the skin, and I don't think it's something to be worried about. The medicine will slowly be distributed around the body.
I know that you can put a lot of water under the scruff, for example for dehydrated animals, and then it'll feel like a big balloon under the skin :lol: but it's still safe, and will slowly go away as the body absorbs the water.

Back