• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Walter in stasis due to stress: good vibes needed please!

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hi, my mini lop Lola has just been bonded with Walter a dutch cross from a rescue. The bonding has gone really well and they are very happy together so I brought them home today.

Since then Walter hasn't eaten, so I took him to the vets this evening as an emergency, the vet said I had done the right thing and most likely the stress of a new place was putting him off food. He has given me some critical care stuff (smells nasty!) and some gut motility drug. I am hoping that 24 hours of being in the same place and the drugs and Lola's company will do a good job of helping him.

The thing is he is absolutely terrified, he had a terrible start in life and I knew that no one else would want him, he cowers away when you go near him and runs to hide behind her. So I understand it must be so stressful for him, I just want to give him a good life. I didn't want to make him ill for sure :(

So could you all send Walter some good vibes, and hopefully by the morning he might be tucking into some hay!

Just a thought, if you have a cage can you shut him in that for a while an cover the cage up? He might feel a bit safer then, just have to tiptoe around the house then

(((((((((((vibes)))))))))))))

Come on Walter, have something to eat. You're in a lovely new home now:thumb:

Sending loads a vibes for Walter come on fella ur in a loving home now start nommin that hay

Thanks guys so much.

Just been down to see how he is. He seems a bit brighter but its obviously hard to tell whether he has eaten anything!! Of course when you approach he goes all scared so thats not great. At least he is getting cuddles every two hours so he can have his medicines :)

Hi Wendle!

Yes Walter is getting there, him and Lola are currently sat in a litter tray eating hay!! Good news!!

I don't know whether it was nerves or stress or what, but a bit of time, lots of meds, and some love has helped. I went back to the Vets on Saturday morning because I was worried as I still hadn't seen him eat. So I got more meds then!

The good news him and Lola seem to have a good bond, and I think that is helping him cheer up a lot.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Back