• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maybe mites?

deb_h

Warren Scout
At the beginning of this week a lovely girl I know from where I use to work got in touch with me to see if I would adopt her bunny Lola. She loves her dearly but since having her baby boy she is really finding it difficult to care for lola and is worried it may be affecting her health. So being a responsable pet owner has made the tough decision to find lola a new home with someone she trust will take care of her :D

So after much consideration and a chat with hubby we decided we would say take her in. Today we picked her up and she is absolutely beautiful :love: I think she is a long haired dwarf lop?

My friend mentioned lola had recently pulled her fur out on the bottom of her back. This has started to grow bag in places now but the skin underneath and around it is white and flakey. I have been looking and read that this could be mites? (from straw/hey etc). Does that sound about right? She also has a little flakiness around her eyes to.

I have booked her in to see the vet first thing monday morning.

It could be, best to get the vets to check her out asap.

I have just taken one of mine this week as I saw "dandruff" round her lower back and she was treated with the spot on treatment. He took samples on sellotape and put it on a slide to check it out. We go back in a couple of weeks for some more spot on.

Thanks for the reply :) Thats what I was thinking actually. Im going to give them a call in the morning to see if they can squeeze us in tomorrow. They were closed by the time we had her home.

If they cant do you think she will be ok until monday? and if so is there anything I do to help?

Back