• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you explain that you know what's best??

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
My grandpa has agreed to help us convert the shed into a bunny shed but it is gonna take a lot of work. I mentioned about insulating the walls cause I wanted the bunnys to have run of the shed. And my grandpa said I would be better getting a big hutch and insulating that in the shed. I don't want to do that but I feel I am being disrespectful for saying no I want it like this.

Him and my granny have the traditional idea about rabbits, in a hutch outside on there own so showing them any information about rabbit welfare would be pointless cause they wouldn't believe it.

I see what he's saying and I think maybe he's just looking at it from a logical perspective - the rabbits will heat up a small space quicker so it is a good idea to have an insulated bed area.
Perhaps say to him that you understand what he's saying and think it's a good idea to have something insulated for them to sleep in, but you'd like to insulate the whole shed anyway just to help regulate the temperature in there a little?

If they really just won't listen because it's for rabbits say you plan on spending a lot of time in there and it would be more comfortable for you in the long run if it doesn't get too cold in winter or too hot in summer.

I said that I wanted to get an avairy as opposed to a run so I can go in there with them and spend time out in the fesh air with them. And they responded with 'Don't be so stupid'.

I am worried about it cause the shed is in an area that gets a lot of sun and I don't want them to get too hot.

I said that I wanted to get an avairy as opposed to a run so I can go in there with them and spend time out in the fesh air with them. And they responded with 'Don't be so stupid'.

I am worried about it cause the shed is in an area that gets a lot of sun and I don't want them to get too hot.

oh dear :(
Frankly, it doesn't sound like they're being mindful of your feelings so I wouldn't worry too much about theirs. Just get the stuff to do what you want and tell them that's what you're doing.

My grandpa said he is willing to make a massive run for them to go in and I am very grateful. Just I have a specific idea in my head of what I would like, I have the space, time and money. But I just get told that what I want is stupid and 'they are only rabbits'.

Insulation isn't really a necessity :) I'd pick your battles if they are a bit unsure. A sleeping box is a good idea - you'd need one anyway even with an insulated shed. Then if it's in a sunny spot, a second door that's mesh so you can open the main door and let it ventilate without escapes would be particularly useful.

Maybe show him some pics of sheds with aviaries attached to give him an idea of what your like?

I thought you had to insulate to keep to cold out too?? I just really wanna do what's best for the rabbits and I know it gets really cold in the winter. My boyfriend is worried about the cold which is making him reluctant to put them out.

If it helps at all, rabbits are far more resilient to the cold than is commonly thought. My shed is uninsulated but the rabbits are fine in winter - they snuggle up to each other and the second I open the door rush outside, even when there's masses of snow on the ground. :roll:

Dorset George refuses to go in a hutch or shed at night and has been outside 24/7 for four years, even when the snow is down, as he gets so stressed at being in a hutch that he stops eating. He finds his own shelter and has never been ill - plus he has had a wonderful life for four years. They really are hardy - I wouldn't worry about insulation if I were you, and instead pick your battles, like Tamsin said :wave:

I didnt insulate Poppy's shed, it was something I planned to do at a later date and never did:oops: To be fair she was fine all winter, she made a burrow/den under the raised shelf...its quite good under there she dragged all the blankets, the bed and vet bed under and she was really snug:D You can make a second door out of mesh to go in place of the solid door for the hot days so that buns are secure but get plenty of air.

Our shed is right next to a cherry tree so she gets plenty of shade. Perhaps you could plant some fruit trees around the shed for shade (and a supply of fruit branches;)) I wanted an aviary for Poppy and had the same battle with the persons making the run for me, they were doing it for free and giving up their time so I let it go, she has a run instead and its fine:D

Older people have different ideas, times have changed so much. Even my mum's ideas are way off in some aspects now. Pick your battles and just push what what you see as the most important aspects of the shed, its a shame to cause upset over something so nice.

If it helps at all, rabbits are far more resilient to the cold than is commonly thought. My shed is uninsulated but the rabbits are fine in winter - they snuggle up to each other and the second I open the door rush outside, even when there's masses of snow on the ground. :roll:
Same here, it does get cold out there in winter but they have thick fur coats so notice it much less than we would.

I think getting too hot in a shed is much more of a worry than being too cold. I've always found giving them nest boxes and extra bedding is enough, even during the coldest winters but keeping them cool is a battle

I think it depends on the type of shed as well- if its shiplap it will be already quite insulating, if it's overlap sometimes the wind will below though them.

Back