• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much forage food?

Cari

Warren Veteran
How much forage food do you give? I know hay is unlimited, small egg cup of pellets, tiny amount of vegetables but what about dandelions, cow parsley, sticky weed, clover, grass, hawthorn etc? Can I just bung it in his forage box and leave him to it? Or should I be limiting how much he has?

I think a decent handful or more is ok, it should not really harm the digestive system, if anything it should help.

As your bun isn't used to it, like anything start with small amounts and then build it up a bit..some things he will like others not
As has been said a nice handfull a day when he's used to it would be fine..variety aswell. Remember what you want him to eat is loads of hay..and I hear you've found some nice stuff he likes :D

I look forward to meeting this bunny when he has been to see Paula or Emily and you are happy with his progress xx

Thank you for the replies :)

Fifibutton - I think he has about a handful per day so I might actually be on the right track for once! :thumb:

Jill - I've been building it up over the past week or so, he's turned his nose up at some things, he is not a huge fan of cow parsley but will eat it, and he is being very selective with his hawthorn at the minute (nice juicy leaves, hard horrible sticks) but I'm learning what he likes and doesn't like. I have found some nice farm hay which seems to be going down quite well at the moment, he's still not eating as much hay as I would like him to though, am thinking about cutting out vegetables completely and just leaving him with pellets, small amount of forage foods and lots of fresh hay to see if I can get his diet more balanced. His poos are even darker than they were and at one point they were going quite golden. :roll: We'll get there I hope. He saw Paula yesterday :thumb: just need to get everything on track!

I give mine as much as they will eat!
BUT mine are used to it and have been for ages. Matilda and Geoff can easily nom their way through a 'bag for life' worth of green juicy bits from the wild:lol:
Dolly Boobies doesn't get that much at the mo due do a certain little bun who has recently joined her:love: But he is doing very well with increasing amounts and I think will be ad lib the same as the others in a few more weeks time.
By the time he is fully adjusted to a 'wild' diet I will be picking a hessian sack stuffed full for the 4 of them! Once they are used to it I give loads so that if a small leaf of something toxic does slip by my beady eye, they will leave it and choose something else instead.
It's lovely to watch them wander around choosing what they want first, they chop and change like the wind!:lol:

ETA My guys poos are darker when they have wild food, the same colour as a wildie bun's poo so I don't worry. If forage is scarce and they have only hay, then the poos turn golden again. Small poos only happen here on veg so we really limit that to an occasional treat. Having said that though, when they get the run of the veg patch after we have picked all we need ofr the season, that veg doesn't upset them??? I can only think it's because it is really fresh?

Last edited:
I have read not to overdo dandelions as they are a diuretic and therefore put too much stress on kidneys.

This is roughly how much I feed...

Photo0800.jpg

Terracotta bowl for one (Nutmeg doesn't eat fresh), blue bowl for two.

we divide a heaped wheelbarrow between 34 every morning - and then collect a bucket full for snacking on with the pellets in the eve.

But as someone else said - ours are used to it .

I've just started Doughnut on rose petals since my roses are blooming now, she's up to 5 petals a day so will build her up to more as she begs for them. She likes the leaves as well so building that up too. Are they good for her though and the more she eats the better?

She's getting more grass now it's good weather and only an egg cup of pellets as well as hay when she's not outside.

Back