• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies seem a little 'off' now and again

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hiya

I wasn't sure whether to post this in health or in behaviour really because I'm not sure what's going on with my bunnies at the moment. They seem to be taking it in turns to act 'off' every now and then.

A couple of weeks ago it was Rascal who refused his breakfast and kept lying down then sat hunched up and shaking. After a couple of hours, he was back to his normal self.

Last week Dizzi did the same thing and again last night. But they hadn't eaten anything they don't normally eat (in fact y'day Dizzi only had her pellets for brekki then hay all day). She refused her tea and her supper and was very what I can only describe as 'dazed', she kept lying down then getting back up again like she didn't know what to do with herself and she refused everything I tried her with. She even let me pick her up which is just soooo out of character for her, she hates being handled! It got to half past nine and I said to OH that if she was no better by 10pm I was ringing the vet. I kept an eye on her the whole time and she was just the same except she took herself off into the hutch and just sat quietly up there. At 9.55pm I went back outside to see how she was and OMG she wolfed down some 'nana and some pellets and a fenugreek crunchie - all of which she'd refused all evening!!

What could possibly have been wrong with her for her to look so delicate one minute then back to her normal boistrous (?sp?) Self the next??

Could it have been the sudden heat?? (they had an ice pod and damp fleeces pegged up on the mesh of their run but it has come on quite suddenly and they're both still only mid moult).

Like I say, all she had y'day was pellets and hay. The previous week when it was Rascal who wasn't too clever, I blamed it on cabbage, but they've both been absolutely fine with it previously!

Any ideas?

Sounds quite similar to a human suffering from 'heat stroke' to me.

Ginger is currently in exactly the same place right now, is currently snuggled up to a fresh bottle of iced water, refusing food but her instincts have kicked right in, shes drinking loads and keeping herself close to the bottle.

I'm worried about the amount that my bunny is drinking.
She hardley drunk anything yesterday and overnight and today she hasn't drunk anything. She has a bowl of water as well as her bottle and I got her an icepod today but she isn't interested in it.

Do you think I should give the vet a ring? She feels cool still and she is sleeping on the mud which is cold. I just got her feet and ears wet which she wasn't impressed about. She is eating and pooping ok though. She is only 12 weeks old so I'm still worrying/working out what is normal.

Hi There - I'm really glad i found your post. As this morning one of my little mini lops has been exactly the same as you describe in your post. She is usually the most food orientated bunny, and is sat waiting for me outside the bedroom door in the morning, and then goes mental until she is given her pellets. Not this morning though! I couldn't tempt her with anything pellets, herbs, treats - she just wasn't interested & was sat in the corner looking a little miserable. She doesn't seem bloated though & was moving around a little from place to place. She wolfed down her pellets & hay last night, but i think this is the first time i can remember that she has ever refused her pellets. I have left all the windows in the house open & they are in the room which never gets direct sunlight, plus there are some cold towels (in the freezer last night) on the floor & some ice pads around the room - so I am hoping that should be enough to keep them cool. I am hoping & praying that when i get home later this afternoon she will accept some food, if not I guess it will have to be a trip to the vet's tomorrow morning. My other bun, her bonded friend is acting 100% normal, and ate his pellets as usual this morning & he is not acting any differently towards her. Is anybody else experiencing this with their buns at the moment?

Mine are doing exactly the same. They'll ignore food which is massively unlike them, then the next minute they've demolished the lot and are begging for more! :roll:

I think the heat is doing stange things to our buns :lol:

Back