• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on a Furminator for Bunnies

Andie17

Warren Scout
:wave:As title says would anyone recommend a furminator for a rabbit or should I just stick to rubber curry comb? Thanks

:wave:As title says would anyone recommend a furminator for a rabbit or should I just stick to rubber curry comb? Thanks

I'm really not sure - sorry!
I have a furminator which I use on one of my thick-coated cats but I've never tried it on my bunnies .... perhaps I should give it a go.

All I do know is that, on my cat anyway, I have to be quite gentle otherwise it strips out too much of her fur. Perhaps it would be ok if your bunny is thick-coated.

what length fur have your buns got?
I used mine on ruby (normal fur) and it scrathed her skin and in general wasnt a nice experience.
But all 12 lionheads are greatfull for a good stripping from the furminator.
With poppet the mini rex i use a damp rubber glove!.

:love:

I have one that I use on them when they are casting. You can use it lightly and as long as the edge is at the right angle it still takes out loose hair. It is especially good for long hair though like MissFloppyears said.

I use mine on my bunnys when using it you just have to do gentle strokes and not push on it I got loads of fur out of my big bunny u just have to be careful because I think they are like the ones hairdressers use to razor men's hair :)

Hector is a French lop so I would say "normal" type bunny coat, I thought we were over the worst of his moult but with the heat this week it's coming out in handfuls and tufts:shock: just thought this may help him:?, I've noticed there is a furminator for rabbits is that any different from the cat/dog version?

I love the one I bought for Smoo. It's perfect for her because she has SUCH thick fur. I use the furminator to get all the loose fur underneath then I use a wiry cat brush to comb the top fur.

I got this one 2 weeks ago.

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/mikki-moult-master-15541-0.html

Milo is a dwarf lop and he was fine with it. We just made sure to use it gently so we didn't hurt him. Emmy & Poppy don't like it and have much thinner coats that Milo so we just use a rubber brush with them.

It worked really well on Milo and managed to get off almost a whole new bunny :) I wanted to call it Fluffy :lol:

:lol: I came downstairs with the fur in a plastic bag and ran around telling everyone that Smoo had spawned a new Smoo. :lol:

Do you all use the dog/cat or small animal version? I'm looking into getting one! Nena has the same problem that Smoo has, a really thick undercoat!

Thanks everyone, I think I will try out the small animal version but just as a matter of interest what makes it differ from the dog/cat version?is it just the actual size or is the head/ teeth part different? just wondering if it would be handy to use on my dogs and cats too?

Back