• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The toughest two weeks ever

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
the past 14 days have been the worst we can ever remember, 5 bunnies lost :( I am going to miss their them all so much as each of them were so wonderful in their own special way, but I am trying hard to stay positive and take some comfort in the happy times they had with us, however short. When they arrive at Rainbow Rabbits we always hope and try to fix their problems but realistically we know that all we can usually do is buy them as much time as possible and make that time whether it be years or a few short months as happy and comfortable as possible. Each one becomes a part of our family, I never think of us as a sanctuary but always as a home for our rabbits. Because we fight so hard for every one we spend a lot of time with them all and become so attached in such a short time. I hope we did our best by these five beautiful bunnies, I can't believe I will never see their little faces again as I walk round our garden.....

Genevieve - arrived at 12 weeks old very malnourished. She started to really thrive here but sadly got cancer at 5 months old. The op seemed successful and she grew into really stunning girl. But at just 11 months old the cancer caught up with her again and this time there was nothing we could do.

P9020546.jpg

P1010235.jpg

P1020227-1.jpg

P1020521.jpg

Dora - arrived terrified but blossomed into a wonderful friendly bunny, who was firmly attached to her carrot log! We battled with her breathing problems for 4 weeks or more before a lesion in her brain became too much for her to cope with.

P1020150.jpg

P1020181.jpg

P1020388.jpg

Fifi - Another terrified new arrival, fifi had uterine cancer and dental problems. despite getting her neutered 4.5 months later she developed a huge tumour on her liver. She went from terrified to the cheekiest little girl who loved nothing more than a head rub. She leaves behind 3 big holes in our dining room carpet!

P1010772.jpg

P1010776.jpg

P1010969.jpg

P1020390.jpg

Dexter- An absolutely stunning boy. Was with us for 3 years but had been struggling with neurological problems and fluid on his lungs since August last year. On sunday it all became too much for him.

P1010651.jpg

P1010639.jpg

P1020681.jpg

Poppet - Another precious old girl with a huge uterine tumour. She struggled to recover from her neuter, but miraculously pulled through and spent many weeks binkying round the garden. She was the gentlest most friendly bunny. Unfortunately it quickly spread to her stomach and we were left with no other option

P1020166.jpg

P1020225.jpg

P1020210.jpg

P1020259.jpg

Aww all those bunnys were gorgeous and I'm sure they spent the rest of their happy days with you as if it wasn't for you caring for them like you do they probably wouldn't have had any life at all I applaud you for all the hard work you do to make these bunnys as happy and comfortable as you possibly can :love:

I've been following your threads on here and posts on Facebook but just didn't know what to say :cry: They were lucky to spend their days with you :love::love::love:

You are a safe haven for bunnies and the five pictured here all benefitted from your amazing love and care. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to lose five very much loved bunnies in so short a space of time. :cry::cry:

So sorry that it has been such a tough time. It must have been heartbreaking to lose them, but they were all so lucky to be with you - safe, cared for and loved. You couldn't have done more.

So sorry to hear about all the bunnies you've lost :cry: What you do is incredible, the love you give them all is just amazing to see.

This is heartbreaking just to read, so I cannot imagine what you will be going through right now. :cry:

They were all beautiful bunnies and you can see from the pics just how happy they were and what a difference you and Steve made to their lives.

Thinking of you and Steve at this sad and very difficult time. xx

Thank the lord for people like you.

Thank you from the bunnies for giving them such love and care.

Binky free the famous five

:wave::wave:

Last edited:
Bless you for giving them such amazing quality time, even although it all too often ends in heartbreak.

Very impressed by Fifi's three holes in the dining room carpet. :shock:

Thank you for all your kind words.

I don't feel we do anything special as such except put ourselves in the same position over and over again. The care we give our rabbits is exactly the same that any good rabbit owner on here would do for their own sick rabbit. But for some strange reason we choose to deal with these sad situations over and over again!

I have cried so many tears for these 5 bunnies in the past couple of weeks and will do so for some time to come because they were so precious and deserved so much more from life, plus I will miss them terribly. But there is some small comfort in that I feel we did achieve something by giving each one a little bit of time and happiness even if it was incredibly short for some. Juliet told me yesterday that Poppet would have been dead within two weeks if we hadn't operated when we did, instead she got 12 weeks where she was loved and comfortable. So that for us is enough to keep us going, just! :love::love:

Back