• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore Hocks In Rabbits In Summer - U/D Molly's poorly :(

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

I have read that sore hocks is worse in the summer. Can I ask why this is? What about the summer causing problems in sore hocks?

My rabbit, Molly has had sore hocks since she was 6 months old (she is now nearing 5 years old). Thankfully, for most of the year, she seems to cope extremely well and avoids infection and abscesses. But during the summer months (around May/June to beginning of September), she seems to develop abscesses, infection and general bad hocks.

It seems to be her immune system that keeps infection at bay most of the time, but for some reason, when summer comes, her immune systems seems to weaken and the infection takes over. Once the weather cools down, her immune system seems to fight back. I've noticed this yearly cycle with her, and it is most peculiar.

Does weather have something to do with it? Do other sore hock rabbits have this cycle? Is there anything I can give her to boost her immune system? Does prebiotics or probiotics boost the immune system?

I think it's due to the thinning of the guard hairs on the hocks due to moulting.

such a simple explanation. :thumb:

is there anything I can do to help her through these months?

Almost as if on cue, I've found a white area which looks like it may develop into an abscess over the next few weeks. Its her first of many, I'm sure for the next couple of months. :cry: The only treatment we've found to be effective is to lance any abscess that erupts, and flush it with salt water twice daily, and this seems to heal them very well, and also removes the pus too. However she just gets more around her feet, she could have as many as 10 or more over 2-3 months, so it isn't nice for her, but at least for most of the year (and most of her life), she's comfortable and happy. I suppose that is all I can do for her, just treat any abscesses that come along and get her through the tough few months.

Sadly, I found Molly today with blood coming out of her hocks. :cry:

A tiny little cut on one of her hocks had bled, she got it everywhere. I cleaned it up and put salt water on it, and she seems fine now. I'm going to take her to the vets this week, and I want to put her on Metacam for the whole of the summer. Is that advisable? Antibiotics don't seem to work so I don't want to damage her gut flora with something that doesn't work. But she takes metacam easily, and at least it would mean she was not in pain over the summer. She hasn't got any abscesses at the moment, but I can see a few sites that may grow into an abscess over the next few weeks. :cry:

I'm sorry, I have no experience with such sore hocks but I wanted top say I hope you find a solution. Poor bunnies!

Is bunny on soft substrate only a hard surface is not good when they suffer with this. I don't know a lot about it - Jack's Jane might be along soon, or someone with more knowledge.

Sore hocks are very difficult to treat, as once they've developed, they tend to be there for good - or so I have found.
Bunny needs to be on soft bedding - straw/hay preferably, where the feet can sink in. Carpets, or man-made materials seem to make them a whole lot worse. Also, keep the claws trimmed short. I have put a gym mat (very soft) under my rabbit's bedding (well under the whole living area, actually!) and then covered this with straw/hay, so as bunny has a very soft area. My vet said it's all very well putting them straight on straw, but they need something soft underneath the straw. I have tried various creams - Sudocreme, Vet Gold, but eventually I bought a gel that is used to teat open wounds on horses (bought online) - Derma Gel - this did seem to help better than the creams. If Molly has an abscess, she really should have antibiotics. Alternatively, you could ask your vet about Duphopen injections, which my rabbit had for a tooth abscess, which cleared it really well. Only problem is, that Duphopen is not licensed for rabbits (like so many other drugs!) and I'm not sure whether it would work the same way as it does in the mouth? Sore hocks are a real nuisance - I know - I found trying to let the sore breath was also better than bandaging, as when removing dressings, the sore can sometimes be wet and weepy. Regarding the Metacam, by bun is on it long term for arthritis, so it shouldn't be a problem for Molly to be on it just for the summer. Good luck - hope I've been of some help, and I hope the situation improves.

I guess bandages would get too sweaty? I have no advice but wanted to send healing vibes for miss Molly. Xxx

Thank you for the reassurance. :)

I've checked her hocks tonight, and it is not bleeding. However, her hocks do not look good, they look like they always do this time of year, starting to produce abscesses. :(

I suppose i should be grateful that she only seems to have problems for a few months each year, and she enjoys life nearly pain free the rest of the year. I'll ask the vet for Metacam long term. She'll probably go on antibiotics but in my experience with this (about 4 years), it doesn't help. Lancing and draining each individual abscess seemed to work very well last year, so that will be our first course of action when they do start to erupt, but I want to get her on pain relief ASAP.

Back