• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spending time with the rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've been told that I don't spend enough time with my rabbits and that I don't love them or deserve them, and I know I do love them very much but I don't know if I really do spend much time with them.
I go to see them in the morning but never longer than 5 minutes because I'm always running late, then the evening is probably only about 15 mins, and on weekends I will go in and out for most of the day sitting with them and playing with them. I don't let them free range very much, which they love, because I can't catch them. I have spent less time with them recently, and Izzy and Archie are in my room now and rather than running up to me like they normally do, they're just laying in their pet carrier together. Is this because I don't spend enough time with them? Can rabbits ever forget people or like people less? I feel really bad because although they've got all the basic care they need, some things my Mum said earlier have made me feel like I'm neglected them and they're not getting as much attention as they used to get, and I know rabbits don't think like this but I don't want them to think I've forgotten them or don't love them any more.

Aren't you doing exams and coursework now?
I know I haven't been spending loads of time with any of my pets lately, but the rabbits have each other so I know they're happy enough. Rabbit don't need human interaction if they have rabbit interaction. I'm sure you'll spend more time with them in the summer. I'm just feeling sorry for my hammy as he doesn't have company. :(

To be honest I don't spend a huge amount of time with mine (well apart from the guineas as they are inside), 10 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening for a bit of free ranging. If i'm home all day and at weekends then obviously it's more but I don't spend hours with them on a day to day basis. It's why I think friends are so important :D

To be absolutely honest with you I just feed mine in the morning, shut them away at night and go and visit them for a few mins several times a day. That is all the time I spend with them, they don't like being handled. I don't think it would benefit them if I sat up there with them to be honest.

I don't spend a great deal of time with mine either. IMO as long as rabbits have bonded companions, they don't miss human interaction. Mine don't like being handled (although they are subjected to it because I have to move them to their run daily), but other than that, I avoid handling them. They like being bunnies, binkying, playing, grazing, grooming etc.

I ensure they are fed, watered, their hutch and run is clean, their poos are ok, they are eating ok, their bums are clean etc, but that's all they really want from me. :lol:

Back