• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At the end of my tether today

ShirlShaw

Warren Scout
Ok peeps I'm after some help / suggestions for your local newbie, ie ME!

Thumper will sit and eat grass while I groom him all day long but as soon as I pick him up or try to he panics etc.

I'm only trying to pick him up so I can groom his legs as I I think some of the dirt is from his litter pellets as his legs never appear to look as clean as the rest of his coat.

I hope this makes sense as I have spent the last hour looking like the village idiot in our back garden.

And in return for advice I'll provide a pic after a nice brush session

http://db.tt/sR5swvIy

Thanks

Sa

8577ac69.jpg

not sure I'm the best person to comment as one of mine will only just tolerate being picked up and the other two I have to chase - they absolutely hate it. The only thing I can think of can you maybe bribe him? :lol:

My long haired boy was a year old when I got him.He was already trained to sit and be brushed.

It maybe that you need to start again.Sit on the floor with treats and a book.Be all nonchalant.Bunnies are naturally nosy.The trust will come eventually.
Its gonna take time.Bunnies dont normally like to be picked up..they dont like heights either....xxxx

When you pick him up do you hold him firmly against your chest so he can't wriggle and he will feel more secure. This might help if you aren't already doing this. 2 people are better than one for fiddly things. If he's very big and powerful then it can be very difficult. You need a strong man!

Thanks for the comments above.

When I do pick him up he is snuggled into my arms and chest and he is calm then, its just the initial pick up
and when im trying to groom places i cant get to easily.

Tonibun - i am a strong man lols

Ss

If you sit him between you legs facing away, just practice putting you hand under him and lifting up his front legs then putting them down again. Leave his back ones on the floor. Once he gets used to you doing this you can have much better access and he will be less suspicious your about to pick him up.

Back