• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

MOUSE:(;o;o what to do ASAP PLEASE

Loppy2

Warren Scout
Hi
there was a mouese near the hutch and we relised it got in the hutch (poppy was not in there at the time) and got it threww the bars:/ i dont no how to get rid of it:/ i dont really want to harm the mouse but I DONT want it harming my bunnys:/
PLEASE HELP ASAP

I've had a family of mice living under my bunny shed for about 10 years and they're often in the shed with the rabbits. They shouldn't hurt the rabbits at all but I would make sure there's no food laying around that might encourage the mice.

Although I would not actively encourage a mouse, I would not panic either.

We had a mouse which was taking Brocolli (sp) of all things. It left a trail of droppings in its hidey hole. So I cleaned the area up and have not seen it again. Am sure they are around though.

My rabbits don't graze on pellets all day. In fact pellets are not even a daily part of their diet, so this also deters mice - not having them lying around all day.

Not to worry mice aren't aggressive like rats or anything. They are probably stealing bits of bedding and food from the hutch to take back to their home :)

You could try cleaning up the area, no loose hay or straw and no left over pellets hanging around. That kind of thing.

agree with everyone else,we have a mouse who visits,my cage is about 6' high and the top 2 levels is for the piggies,well i cleaned the top level out and noticed they were poop and wee on one of the piggies bedding,dont know how it managed to get in as the top of the cage is a weird shape and there is no bars were it got in but ive folded some paper up and pushed it in to the gap were it got in :lol: just as long as there is no rats,i wouldnt worry too much

Have to say from owning mice and rats as well as a rabbit, they love allsorts of fruit and veg. Having a mouse steal broccli is completely normal for them. :)

Although you guys mention to worry about rats? Has there been instances of wild ones attacking rabbits or such? (Mine have never met eachother and I don't intend to either, i'm asking purely out of curiositys sake)

Myn have not met rats before.
But i have read stuff that they can bite them and this could harm then

I think mice are typically harmless. They can bite but I think it unlikely. As long as it's not a species known for disease, like, deer mice are known carriers for passing hantavirus (sp?) to humans through their droppings, then I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe you could use a humane trap and relocate them.

My buns live outside. Mice hop in through the mesh - I watched one run in last week to get away from the chickens. Muppette Rabbit looked mildly interested but not enough to put her dandelion down. I don't worry about mice. Well... I do if they're in my house... :evil:

Although you guys mention to worry about rats? Has there been instances of wild ones attacking rabbits or such?
I suspect - but have no actual knowledge - that a rat would not bother a healthy adult rabbit on the basis there's easier prey around - but kits would definitely be at risk.

Back