• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How are you keeping your buns cool in this weather?

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Appolgies if we have had this thread already!

How can we keep rabbits cool in this weather?

Im using frozen ice pods (and my heat pad is being frozen too!)
Spritzing them with cool water occasionally
Providing extra shade
Covering the run in damp towels/sheets
and this evening I have sent my mum out to buy one of these http://www.petsathome.com/shop/dog-cage-fan-by-coopet-37369 to attach to the hutch :thumb:

What about you?

Frozen 2 litre bottles, Ginger flops against them.

Biscuit digs and tries to chew them :roll: but just falls off them as they are slippy

It's actually quite cool inside our house so other than keeping the curtains half shut in the lionheads room I'm not actually doing anything. Got ice pods in the freezer cooling. Checked their ears a few times and none feel hot, the lops ears actually feel cool to the touch.

I've left the blinds half shut to stop the Sun warming the rooms, I've then left a fan on in each room, got home from work to find each room rather quite pleasant so looks like I'm doing it right

Mine are indoors where it isn't too hot. The window is wide open and the curtains are shut, and it's alright in there. I've put a bowl of water in (they don't normally get one), but it seems they think it is far more fun to fill the bowl up with hay than drink it! I put some ice in their bowl yesterday and the look of disgust on their face was priceless (ironically, particually from Ice!)

Just been making sure mine are covered so get some shade but it isnt really that hot yet. They seem to be managing fine. n

icepods, windows open but curtains closed halfway in afternoon as sun hts then, and got black outs on back which are meant to make it feel cooler apparently in hot weather and warmer in cold weather, i keep refreshing there water and they are nice and shaded, i do have a fan but not put it on yet

My 3 have a fan that they are currently flopped out under. I have also slightly wet the top of their heads (their were not impressed with this :lol:)

They seems to be coping ok. Me on the other hand..........

icepods, windows open but curtains closed halfway in afternoon as sun hts then, and got black outs on back which are meant to make it feel cooler apparently in hot weather and warmer in cold weather, i keep refreshing there water and they are nice and shaded, i do have a fan but not put it on yet

That's weird, I would've thought blackouts would make it warmer all the time. Black absorbs heat and light whereas white reflects it.

I have a ceiling fan in my room but i need to dust it before I put it on!!

pretty much everything you have suggested. Mine really like the ice pods once they realised it wasn't ediable :thumb: :lol:

How long do the ice pods stay cool for? I know obviously it depends on the surrounding temperature as well.

I think I may get a couple and also fill some bottles to freeze. This house is like a radiator tonight I'm sure it soaks up all the heat to release later. It wasn't this hot earlier in the day

its awful upstairs...fans on 24/7 windows shut during hottest part of day..open at night but not wide open...we have stupid idiot ops i falled out the windows cats!!

my screens have gone wonly and net rods vanished..i push them up against the open window then use the extending net rod vertically. sadly one cat one moth/bug/spider..the whole lot came crashing down and ripped my insect netting at window frame...:cry:

just keep telling myself i love them!! with my 1st house bun id freeze 2l plastic bottles and pop it on a towel on the carpet...wed have her flopped out up against it one side and our old cat the other...with a fan on:lol:

but when you end up with 6 bunnies non bonded.....you get stuck...cant even keep up with ice pods just for four of them!

blackout curtains or blackout linings for curtains are usually cream coloured and prevent sunlight being able to go through the curtains hence keeping the heat out.

but theyre so heavy..opening the windows at night to the cooler air..you need to move them to one side as the breeze cannot get past them!!

i bought the fabric few years back..hand stitched the tops so extending net rod could go through..but the rod bowed too much and the mould with the damp upstairs got the fabric...yuk.

we have a mobile air con thingy in porch..the irony is it is too hot out there even at night to dig it out and bring it in! too heavy to get upstairs bout the size of those old calor gas heaters peoples grandparents or parents used to have on wheels! and just as heavy! had it since 2003...if this weather doesnt let up..ill have to bring all buns into lounge and make teeny pens just to keep them cool.

i hate the summer!!!

they arent outside in grass cos of grass to be cut sat..im paying a chap £13 to cut it and bag it up i hope! my cat proofings gone at top....will just have to hope. But buns need 2 weeks for jabs to kick in..baxters got a chest infection and now bluebells hurt her front paw cant put weight on it. aarghhh or theyd be out there with us in moonlight on the grass keeping cool.

those hutch covers look a great idea..reflect heat and built in fly screen....can they do one to fit my whole house?:lol::lol:

why do bunnies turn their noses up at ice cubes in water?

How long do the ice pods stay cool for? I know obviously it depends on the surrounding temperature as well.

I think I may get a couple and also fill some bottles to freeze. This house is like a radiator tonight I'm sure it soaks up all the heat to release later. It wasn't this hot earlier in the day

not really sure tbh :wave: I tend to put one out about mid-day and its fine until it gets cooler in the evening :wave:

Louie doesn't seem to understand that he should keep cool, he is currently racing round the garden, through the patio doors, round the kitchen and back out again!

If I put the cooling tile and the ice pod in the hutch for my 2 they stay right away!

They know its cool but wont go anywhere near it :(

frozen bottles of water wrapped in towels for all mine, although its the baby lions who are REALLY having trouble understanding the keeping cool thing... last time i checked they were all laying in a pile in the sun..........:roll:

Bee's wendyhouse is in the shade, he has a fan, an icepod, a chinchilla cool tile thingy and 2x2litre frozen bottles and i mist his ears .. poor little fluffy thing isnt enjoying this heat

An iced bottle which is ignored and lots of open windows and doors to create a flow of air through the house. The room the bunnies and chinchillas are in gets the afternoon sun and gets quite warm. I've got blinds and it's a fairly good temperature right now, but when it gets really hot I have a 'portable' air conditioner which I bring down for them. But we sleep in the attic room so then I have to bring it back up at night. Not fun.

Nothing different to be honest! They cope well. They stay in their shed when its too hot for them and I let them out for a run later in the evenings when its cooler.
I always make sure they have enough water, but I do that anyway.

Back