• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some FRIENFLY advise. r.e- slug killer

rachylou

Warren Veteran
We have found a property that is PERFECT for us. one problem, in the outside storage cuboard there is a green bottle of slug killer. If we clean the cupbord and the entrance to the property, will it be safe for Jimby and Cookie?

On my slug killer it says it dosent harm birds or wild life, so i assume after clearing up it will be fine :thumb:

I have asked the estate agent to fond out what brand it is and then I can find out its ingredients. U am desperate not to have this be a problem, but I am fearful that it may be and that my ocd will attach it to it :(

It won't be a problem, but if you can't sort it out in your head before you move in then you would really be moving into a bad situation as you would be thinking about it all the time.

We can all tell you on here that it will be fine, but you are the one that needs to rationally know yourself that it will be fine.

It gets washed away from soil by rain but it gets inside plants. If you google "slug killer - poisonous for rabbits" it tells you a lot about it.

Rachylou, they will be fine as long as you dont give them the slug killer for lunch. I'd also keep them greenery from the garden for a few weeks in case its been applied recently.

But as someone else has said, you need to sort this out in your own head, we can tell you its fine till we're blue in the face, but until you believe it and give the OCD a good kick, it wont help. You need to believe it for yourself, or the house will cause you to relapse.

Rachylou, I know how much you love these bunnies, but have you considered letting someone foster them for a while, somewhere where you cant control their environment constantly? As your OCD is triggered so often by them, it might be helpful to have them out of the picture for a while, and it would also help for you to see that they are still fine being exposed to normal household life. It might be what you need to get more in control of your life and your mind again.

Rachylou, they will be fine as long as you dont give them the slug killer for lunch. I'd also keep them greenery from the garden for a few weeks in case its been applied recently.

But as someone else has said, you need to sort this out in your own head, we can tell you its fine till we're blue in the face, but until you believe it and give the OCD a good kick, it wont help. You need to believe it for yourself, or the house will cause you to relapse.

Rachylou, I know how much you love these bunnies, but have you considered letting someone foster them for a while, somewhere where you cant control their environment constantly? As your OCD is triggered so often by them, it might be helpful to have them out of the picture for a while, and it would also help for you to see that they are still fine being exposed to normal household life. It might be what you need to get more in control of your life and your mind again.

There is no way, I love them so much and I need them, I honestly don't know what I would do without them. I live the house and really don't want this to be a problem.

Right I am fighting back with facts! I have been in contact with pest control who have said they would need to actually ingest it for it to be a problem. I have been in contqct eith the vet and he has said that the only way to know for sure is by finding out what it is and what the ingredients are and he will call the poison line to check.
So tomorrow morning I am going to call the agent and see if we can get over there and get the details as I do not want to fully commit myself until I know all the facts. I do not want ocd to win this time, I am fed up with it trying to ruin all my life, I deserve a win!

Right I am fighting back with facts! I have been in contact with pest control who have said they would need to actually ingest it for it to be a problem. I have been in contqct eith the vet and he has said that the only way to know for sure is by finding out what it is and what the ingredients are and he will call the poison line to check.
So tomorrow morning I am going to call the agent and see if we can get over there and get the details as I do not want to fully commit myself until I know all the facts. I do not want ocd to win this time, I am fed up with it trying to ruin all my life, I deserve a win!

I've seen you give great advice to people on this forum. Pretend someone else is asking you if it would be alright for their bunnies. What would would you say to that?

:cry: we have pulled out. I spoke to the vets who called the poison line and found it is highly toxic to bunnies,In all honesty my husband and family do not think I will be able to cope and I think they are right, it just hurts so much because I really loved that house!

surely you just put the bottle in a bin and rinse where the bottle was? unless your keeping them in the cupboard with the slug killer?:shock:

:cry: we have pulled out. I spoke to the vets who called the poison line and found it is highly toxic to bunnies,In all honesty my husband and family do not think I will be able to cope and I think they are right, it just hurts so much because I really loved that house!

Oh no :(

Will that put you right down the housing list now?

Oh no :(

Will that put you right down the housing list now?

This :/

Rejecting a 'housing benefit' house puts you further down the list doesn't it? I thought it was banded, eg, gold, silver, bronze and 'homeless' people get gold, etc etc

At some point or other, you are going to need to face something like this. Almost every house is going to have had weed killer, or something else in and around the property. I'm afraid to say, i think somethings going to have to give or you won't ever get into a property and try and make this change.

What a shame :( but the slug killer is only highly toxic to bunnies if they ingest it. If it's in a cupboard, in a container, and you throw the container away and clean the cupboard, then they aren't going to ingest it, are they? I'm sure there must be things in other kitchen or bathroom cupboards in your house which are technically toxic to rabbits, and yet your OCD doesn't see those things as a risk to the bunnies. I know it's hard for you to think rationally about it, because the whole point of OCD is that it isn't rational, but I'm sure you wouldn't refuse a house because the people there used shampoo, or had washing up liquid in the kitchen, and this is absolutely no different.

I do hope you find somewhere that you are all comfortable with very soon.

Rachylou, maybe it would help to look at these situations like this: The bleach, disinfectant, cleaning products, and anything else you use to clean to protect your rabbits are also toxic. The reason you aren't paranoid about them is because you arent going to give them a bottle for breakfast, just as you wouldnt give them the slug killer. Your rabbits are no more at risk from slug killer than they are any other household chemicals.

As it happens the council arnt going to do **** for us, they were happy to put us out on the street. It was a rental that we looked at.

Last edited:
Back