• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

probably being silly....

Emmax15

Young Bun
...but I'm going to ask anyway. Basically just want some reassurance that I'm being silly! :lol:

Just worried about the heat/bunny etc. Yesterday she was out in the garden all day but mostly she stayed in the shade and I got her ears and head wet. About 8pm she came and had a long cuddle and went into her run and went to sleep (shes not normally that into cuddles). When I got her out of her run to go back in her hutch for the night she let me pick her up with no problem (a bit strange again) and she did feel cool to touch so I wasn't too worried.

She ate all her greens overnight (cabbage leaf, dandelion leaves and milk thistles) and shes pooping fine. She's just not drinking much water!!?? She is in her run again now (not having full run of the garden because I'm supposed to be doing some Uni work!!) but she is just staying in the hutch part. She hasn't drunk any water over night. I her run she has an ice bottle, a wet towel, her bottle of water and a dish of water to splash in (overkill?) but shes not interested in any of them. She kind of scrabbled at the ice bottle to see what it was and then just laid down.

I suppose the ice bottle will keep the air cold, and if she was thirsty she would drink? She had a health check on Tuesday and everything was fine.

:lol: Reading this back I'm thinking, 'what are you worrying about again?!' ... mostly just that she sounds ok? She doesn't normally just lay around. She has been washing herself, which someone said is a good thing and she wouldn't if she wasn't happy? Bahh I worry too much :oops::lol:

You say she has a bowl of water to splash in, is she drinking from that? Mine will drink more from a bowl than a bottle, in fact if I give them a bottle now they won't understand what to do.

The other thing I find is if they've been eating a lot of wet foods, ie, grass, instead of hay then they are getting moisture from that and tend to drink a bit less. I wouldn't ice the water, that might discourage them from drinking if it's too cold.

Mine tend to laze around a but more in the heat. I often provide ice pods but they rarely feel the need to use them.

Last edited:
The other day I put it in her hutch and she threw the water everywhere and then drunk what was left. I think she found it funny cause it is metal and she can see herself in it.

But today she isn't interested in any of it, just laying in the hutch part of her run :/

Oh the ice bottle is a frozen bottle for her to lay next to, She has her regular drinking bottle too :lol:

I think its natural to worry, it is really hot out there! I've put frozen bottles for my buns to lean against they have always ignored them or pushed them out of the way. I think as long as you have provided a few sources of water and shady areas for them to escape to, you just have to trust that they will keep themselves as comfortable as they can.

Mine are flopped out in their run, I think moving as little as possible is probably best :D

I am sitting in the garden with her now and she had a bit of a run around and has just flopped down in the shade again. I made her drink a bit but she has been eating milk thistles which seem to be mostly liquid :)

She seems okay though :D :lol: just worrying :oops:

Back