• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vienna marked rabbit breeding. help

alibaba

New Kit
i've a doe, her one eye color is blue and other eye color is brown. and i searched and found that she is vienna marked doe. if i breed her with REW buck, what outcomes will be?? any idea pictures attached.

Are you aware there is over 40,000 bunnies in rescues across the country? Please think before you act.

i've a doe, her one eye color is blue and other eye color is brown. and i searched and found that she is vienna marked doe. if i breed her with REW buck, what outcomes will be?? any idea pictures attached.

I'm no help on this one , I get my bunnys from rescue it's not really a breeding site this it's mainly about rescue bunnys etc ! Not many members are into breeding on here

I agree with the other people here please don't breed unless you are willing to keep all the kits or have homes set up (this still means other rabbits that desperately need homes may not)

Anway if you are going to breed then there is no definate answer to your question. Both my BEW have the recessive viennna gene and I expect that they would produce all BEW's kits.

So the above makes sense all rabbits carry the vienna gene but the blue eyes only show when these are both recessive (vv rather than VV).

Mating two BEW’s together will ensure a FULL litter of BEW’s because the BEW has two recessive genes on the Vienna (vv). When (vv) and (vv) are mated together ALL you will be able to produce is (vv) BEW. If you mate a BEW (vv) to a Vienna Carrier (Vv) you will expect in the litter 50% to be BEW and 50% to be carriers. If you mate two Vienna carriers together (Vv x Vv) you will expect 25% BEW (vv), 25% Normal ((VV)) (not carrying Vienna at all) and 50% Vienna carriers (Vv).

So basically you don't know what you are going to get unless you are sure both your rabbits are BEW's AND both have the vv gene. Anyway look into genetics if your interested.

Found this website that says to avoid using REWs with breeding with Vienna-Marked rabbits. http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/bunnyrun/COLOR.html

You could end up with all REW which you will find next to impossible to home. Very few people like rabbits with red eyes and even BEW rabbits wouldn't be easy to home either. Not a lot of people like pure white rabbits.

and genetics for that is hard to find
http://www.bewtifulbunnies.com/theviennagene.htm

Also agree with the breeding. This is a rescue site after all that pick up after people's irresponsible breeding just to create cute bunnies.

If you are wanting to breed because you particularly like Viennas, Vienna Blues come up in rescues fairly often. I have a Vienna Blue that came to a local rescue - dumped by the breeder with her breeding ring still on her. One of her blue eyes has a very slight brown tinge so I guess she was considered 'not good enough' for show.

The answer to your question is:

You will most likely get 100% REW.

If you don't know the genetics behind both rabbits for at least 4 generations I would avoid breeding them anyway because you will have no idea what genetic problems either rabbit might be carrying.

If you really, really want to breed (personally I feel that breeding should be held off until the rescue situation has been addressed) then I would advise finding a good recommended breeder who can mentor you and who you can shadow every step of the way.
Breeding any animal isn't as easy as just sticking them together and hoping for the best ;)

I'm afraid that if you dont know each rabbit's genetic history well enough to know the answer to that question, then they are not suitable to breed from. You need to know the full genetic history a good few generations back, and be aware of the exact breeds and colours that you are breeding, before attempting to breed, you can can end up with horrible consequences - not just deformaties like misaligned jaws, but also general ill health and genetic weakness of the offspring. You also run higher risks of this happening if you crossbreed rabbits, or breed those that are not purebreed, as some sizes and shapes are incompatible with each other and result in health problems either in birthing or the life of the kits, or both.

You need to know about her genetics before even considering breeding... and not which genes make pretty colours, you need to know about milk production, litter size, teeth history, size, about the dwarfing gene, hereditary temperaments, and how inheritance works as well as the same for any potential partner... colour should come far below all the above... while i find colour genetics a fascinating subject it really bothers me when people are only interested in producing a certain colour, as thats a sure way to quickly destroy the genetic health of a line.

In your questions you havent mentioned what her base colour is or if she has any of the white vienna marks (having different coloured eyes is not just a sign of the vienna gene but could be an early sign of health issues) or what breed she is.

Back