• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A Tennis Ball Size Lump Found At Vets !! SO WORRIED!!!

John Lenegan

Young Bun
Just got back from the vets and they have found a tennis ball sized lump in our girl Princess, she is being x rayed in the morning, the vet told us to expect the worst. I am very annoyed they didnt notice this lump on Friday and cant understand how they could of missed it.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Me and my wife are devastated and I feel for our boy Shogun that his girlfriend is very ill.

I will update everyone when I get back from the vets in the morning.

My original post about Princess is below :

Princess Not Herself ! Some advice would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !
Hi Everyone !

My dwarf lop little girl Princess has not long gone 2 years old. Yesterday when I got back from work she didn't rush out to the food bowl when I put her and her partner Shoguns (Also a dwarf lop but a boy and nearly 2) dinner out. This morning again i noticed she is not devouring her food like she normally does. She is eating but not like she normally does. For example she loves a small slither of banana but this morning she ate only half of it slowly and then left the rest, very unlike her! She normally eats hers in a second and then tries to steal Shogun's. She is also much less mobile than she normally is and is allowing me to fuss her a little more as usually she will run off after about 30 seconds.

They are both due their Mixy jabs and I have booked them both in the vets tonight , obviously to make sure Princess is ok and also for them to get their jabs.

Has anyone got any ides of what the problem could be ? I am VERY worried.

Thanks in advance

John

THe updated post :

Just giving an update :

Her teeth seem to be fine but the vet thinks she has some excess gas. She was given some injections to alleviate this ; Meloxidyl, Emeprid and Vetergesic . We have to see how she is and take her back tomorrow.

She just ate a little banana and I will keep coaxing her with food. Do hope she will be ok.

I am so sorry you have had such devastating news. Where is the lump, is it in her abdomen? Is she neutered?

Thanks for the message. Yes she is neutered and yes it's in her abdomen. Since Friday she has been chewing paper allot , I'm wondering if it could perhaps be a blockage . I really don't know , just hope that it can be rectified and she gets better.

Thanks for the message. Yes she is neutered and yes it's in her abdomen. Since Friday she has been chewing paper allot , I'm wondering if it could perhaps be a blockage . I really don't know , just hope that it can be rectified and she gets better.

She did seem better over the weekend , eating more , and running around more so I thought she was on the mend.

Did the vet not give any indication of what it is? Could it be her stomach is impacted with food? My only other guess would be some kind of tumour :?

Is her weight stable?

If she doesn't normally chew paper it could be an indication of pain rather than a cause :?

HI. My Pebbles had a large tumor in his abdomen. It was found the day after I got him, when I took him to be neutered ( he had been abandoned) . The vet said I should have a think about my options...took me less than 5 minutes to decide to have him operated on. Cost me a small fortune, but Pebbles is still with me two years on, with no further tumors developing ( I chose not to get the first one analysed, as I would only worry more if it had been malignant). He is the loveliest bunny I have ever had, and I am glad I gave him the option of life rather than have him put to sleep straight away. Of course, your bunny's lump may be totally different, but I wouldn't jump to worse case scenario just yet.

edited to add that prior to the op, Pebbles was very lethargic. within days of having the tumor removed, he was a completely different bunny...so much more energetic.

Last edited:
HI. My Pebbles had a large tumor in his abdomen. It was found the day after I got him, when I took him to be neutered ( he had been abandoned) . The vet said I should have a think about my options...took me less than 5 minutes to decide to have him operated on. Cost me a small fortune, but Pebbles is still with me two years on, with no further tumors developing ( I chose not to get the first one analysed, as I would only worry more if it had been malignant). He is the loveliest bunny I have ever had, and I am glad I gave him the option of life rather than have him put to sleep straight away. Of course, your bunny's lump may be totally different, but I wouldn't jump to worse case scenario just yet.

It's nice to hear Pebbles is well now. We have already decided that we will do whatever we can to get her better , she is our baby girl. I do hope its not as bad as it seems.

Did the vet not give any indication of what it is? Could it be her stomach is impacted with food? My only other guess would be some kind of tumour :?

Is her weight stable?

If she doesn't normally chew paper it could be an indication of pain rather than a cause :?

The vet said perhaps a blockage or a tumour of some sort. She was 2.7kg on Friday and she is 2.6kg today so she's losing weight bless her.

She has always chewed paper , yellow pages etc but not to the extent she is now.

The vet said perhaps a blockage or a tumour of some sort. She was 2.7kg on Friday and she is 2.6kg today so she's losing weight bless her.

She has always chewed paper , yellow pages etc but not to the extent she is now.

I am wondering whether a blood test might give some insight into which it is :? I know how limited diagnostics are. We once had a rabbit with confirmed liver cancer diagnosed through bloods and x-ray. We were also told that she had a tumour in her stomach from the x-ray but a later PM showed it was in fact impacted food, thankfully that didn't make a difference to the outcome as it was liver failure that was the issue.

As an impaction is a possibility I would strongly suggest she is admitted and put on fluids to rehydrate it and give it some chance of moving.

Wishing you all the best of luck x

I am wondering whether a blood test might give some insight into which it is :? I know how limited diagnostics are. We once had a rabbit with confirmed liver cancer diagnosed through bloods and x-ray. We were also told that she had a tumour in her stomach from the x-ray but a later PM showed it was in fact impacted food, thankfully that didn't make a difference to the outcome as it was liver failure that was the issue.

As an impaction is a possibility I would strongly suggest she is admitted and put on fluids to rehydrate it and give it some chance of moving.

Wishing you all the best of luck x

Thanks .

Sounds like it could be an impacted cecum. Eating lots of paper being a classic symptom.

If this is what is wrong then whilst it is still potentially serious it is treatable. Treatment needs to be aggressive and it can take up to a week to get the Rabbit through to recovery. Not all make it, but some do. I hope that your Doe is one of them.

Sounds like it could be an impacted cecum. Eating lots of paper being a classic symptom.

If this is what is wrong then whilst it is still potentially serious it is treatable. Treatment needs to be aggressive and it can take up to a week to get the Rabbit through to recovery. Not all make it, but some do. I hope that your Doe is one of them.

Thanks , we just have to hope she pulls through.

Update:

Princess was x rayed this morning and the vet didn't think it was an impacted cecum, he said it was a strange size and shape. He said they really need to go in and operate to properly diagnose what it could be. Me and my wife gave the go ahead and the vet called me to say that she is now sleepy recovering from anaesthetic; it was a large abscess right next to her intestine. He said he has never seen one like this before and very rare. Good news is he has been able to remove it , however he is not sure what damage it may have done with it being so tight to the intestine. We are going to visit her this afternoon and the next 24 hours will be critical. I'm just grateful they were able to do something and really hope she pulls through.

Princess was x rayed this morning and the vet didn't think it was an impacted cecum, he said it was a strange size and shape. He said they really need to go in and operate to properly diagnose what it could be. Me and my wife gave the go ahead and the vet called me to say that she is now sleepy recovering from anaesthetic; it was a large abscess right next to her intestine. He said he has never seen one like this before and very rare. Good news is he has been able to remove it , however he is not sure what damage it may have done with it being so tight to the intestine. We are going to visit her this afternoon and the next 24 hours will be critical. I'm just grateful they were able to do something and really hope she pulls through.

Oh my, poor girlie :cry:

I really hope she can recover

Goodness, poor girl :( I am glad you have some answers and were able to do something to help her.

Fingers tightly crossed that she is able to make a good recovery xx

Back