• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food aggression scenarios

Stator

Warren Veteran
Does anyone else find that food aggression varies according to which rabbit is given the food first?

If you give a pile of food in the middle of two rabbits the dominant one might chase the submissive one off and not share. If the dominant one finds the pile of food first they will then be very possessive and chase the submissive one off quite aggressively. However if you give the food to the submissive rabbit and then remove yourself and allow the dominant rabbit to join them, they will quite happily share the food together?

I just find it very odd, I guess they see the food as 'theirs' or 'someone else's' and their behavior varies accordingly.

Mine only fight when they know food is imminent, as soon as it actually goes down they don't care who gets what, as long as they're getting something.
Only two of them fight as well, the third stays well out of the way until she knows the food is down.

Mine usually start chasing each other when they see me go out with the dishes but as soon as I put both dishes down they go to their own dish :D

Alfie starts chasing Bubbles as soon as he knows food is on the way - if Bubbles is quick enough, she hides before he starts chasing. :lol:

If I give them something tasty though, like one of Liz's bunny biscuits, then Bubbles usually snatches Alfie's from him and runs off with it & he lets her. :?

Back