• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping them cool!

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Donny doesn't do well in heat like this.. He loves the sun but there is no breeze today so he is lying low. He is fine though :D

I wet his head and the tops of his ears, Lola's too, and gave him the frozen water bottle and wet spring green leaf that they ate in seconds :lol:

This is them at the moment :)

IMAG0558.jpg

Awwww bless them. That little house is adorable, where is it from? My bunnies seem to be keeping surprisingly cool in the playhouse, i might freeze up some bottles if its supposed to carry on getting hotter all week though.

i have an ice pod and make sure they have plenty of shade as the sun is full on them most of the day.
i have a dig box that Buddy tends to bury into when it is warm.

i love your bunnies little house! :D

animals018.jpg

I have just put Mum and her 8 kits out in a hutch for a wee while to let me clean up the kitchen. The hutch is in shade but I have put a wet towel in to lure on and a towel over the mesh which I am housing every half hour. The I've pods is in the freezer for tomorrow!

Awwww bless them. That little house is adorable, where is it from? My bunnies seem to be keeping surprisingly cool in the playhouse, i might freeze up some bottles if its supposed to carry on getting hotter all week though.

Zooplus :) It's the bigger one out of the 2, I think it's £20. The window they have chewed the 3 sticks out of :roll: had a hay rack but they wouldn't have fit in so we left it off :lol:

Awwh they look cute! Mine currently have ice cubes with carrot shavings in, which utterly confuses them to begin with :lol: Harvey laid on his yesterday :roll: and when I gave him a cuddle and I felt wet I thought the worst and that he was poorly, but no, apparently ice cubes cool you best if you lay on top of them :lol:

Love the little house your buns have! I need to get something like that to put in one of their hutches, it's such a boring hutch, just a litter tray and hay, I'm trying to decide between getting a house like this or a making up a digging box........ I know which one would look nicer and be less messy :lol:

Hermione doesn't seem to be that fazed by the heat. She is still hopping and running around, although every now and then just flops in the shade.

She isn't drinking any more water than usual. I put a dish of tap water in her run but she seems uninterested. Do you think she's ok or should I try and make her ears wet? I figured if she needed to cool down she'd chill out or drink water?

Awwh they look cute! Mine currently have ice cubes with carrot shavings in, which utterly confuses them to begin with :lol: Harvey laid on his yesterday :roll: and when I gave him a cuddle and I felt wet I thought the worst and that he was poorly, but no, apparently ice cubes cool you best if you lay on top of them :lol:

Love the little house your buns have! I need to get something like that to put in one of their hutches, it's such a boring hutch, just a litter tray and hay, I'm trying to decide between getting a house like this or a making up a digging box........ I know which one would look nicer and be less messy :lol:

Don't know about the mess! :lol: When they first had it, ripping the bark roof off what so much fun :roll: and there is a brick in the corner to keep it weighed down because another fun thing to do is push the roof off .. :lol: They stopped eating the roof and now it's their favourite place to snuggle on :love: although they didn't like the look of the window so decided to chew the sticks out one by one :roll: :lol:

I want to give them ice cubes but I can't get to the top bit of the freezer they're in because it need unthawing :lol:

Hermione doesn't seem to be that fazed by the heat. She is still hopping and running around, although every now and then just flops in the shade.

She isn't drinking any more water than usual. I put a dish of tap water in her run but she seems uninterested. Do you think she's ok or should I try and make her ears wet? I figured if she needed to cool down she'd chill out or drink water?

I got paranoid about them drinking so they have 2 bottles and 2 bowls :D but they're only drinking what they usually do, only out of the bowls because they seem to prefer them :) I only wet Donny's head and ears because he felt very hot but he seems okay now :) and wet Lola's head and ears because she kept nudging me :roll: :lol: Lola usually drinks out of the bowl with both front paws in it :roll: then cleans herself, and because they're lops they get their ears wet too :lol:

I got paranoid about them drinking so they have 2 bottles and 2 bowls :D but they're only drinking what they usually do, only out of the bowls because they seem to prefer them :) I only wet Donny's head and ears because he felt very hot but he seems okay now :) and wet Lola's head and ears because she kept nudging me :roll: :lol: Lola usually drinks out of the bowl with both front paws in it :roll: then cleans herself, and because they're lops they get their ears wet too :lol:

Hermione is a lop as well and she was getting her own ears wet when she sniffed the bowl of water :lol:
I got her ears and head wet and she decided that now she required a thorough washing so she is sitting and doing that. :roll::lol:

I'm about to put the ice bottle in the freezer, not that mine ever use it. :roll:
I can't believe how hot it is today. Not good for snuffly Grim, he's really feeling it.

I'm about to put the ice bottle in the freezer, not that mine ever use it. :roll:
I can't believe how hot it is today. Not good for snuffly Grim, he's really feeling it.

Poor Grim :( Mine ignore the bottles too so I have to follow them around and place them next to them :lol: Not even a slight breeze today!

I am at work today, but OH is off, he said he's had a cold wet flannel on Daisy and Digby, they loved it :lol: I've been really worried about them, they've got ice cubes in their water.

Mine retreat into the kennel when it gets hot. normally they sit out in the aviary, but as it has a clear plastic roof it can get qite warm. The kennel is shaded and is cooler. They were both lying out in the kennel when I got home tonight.

Mine retreat into the kennel when it gets hot. normally they sit out in the aviary, but as it has a clear plastic roof it can get qite warm. The kennel is shaded and is cooler. They were both lying out in the kennel when I got home tonight.

Wish mine had the sence to do that. They have cool runs shaded attached to their shed and they still sometimes sit in the shed :roll: I also use ice pods, bottles and bowls of water and give cucumber to check they are getting water also

Awww :love: mine are all too hot too. The trio have 2 ice pods, but keep doing the dead bunny look, which scares me! Harris has just gone out in the garden in the shade, its still scorching though, but he needed to get out. Pigs have been kept in with ice pods.

Mine don't seem to like ice packs/pods. I have put in a granite chopping board in a shaded spot and Sprocket sometimes uses that when he is hot.

I put some large ceramic tiles in the bottom floor of the hutches last week so they have been laid on those today...I also covered half the run with dark green tarp so give them some decent shade :thumb: They spent the day munching hay and flopping with legs right out behind them :love::love::love:

Back