• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guess What Has Taken Several Weeks, a Complete Disregard of the 'Rules' and

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
............mega stress for me !! :shock:

For the last few weeks I have been bonding Aisling and Dermot using none of the usual 'rules' !! Infact I have done it all the 'wrong' way.

So much for the rule book !!

Rabbits368.jpg

Aisling is beside an other rabbit and the other rabbit is still alive! :shock::shock: It's a miracle and it's fantastic to see her with a friend again. Great job Jane, well done!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think some 'rules' can be used as guidelines but buns, like people, are individual and don't always fit the conventional way of doing things.

I've never had an unsuccessful bond but I have varied the way I have done it according to the buns themselves. I think knowing a bun's personality is an important part of bonding and you can read your rabbit family so well I am not surprised you made the correct call with these two.

Well done, Jane - they both look so happy.

They make a lovely couple :love:

I would love to know what you did differently I have an unbondable rabbit - Bugsy - maybe there's hope for him yet

awww :D
They look so beautiful together:love:

I never knew what the rules were years ago. I just rescued a bunny and put them in my bedroom with another bunny and it always worked out :D Took disabled bunny freeda home to live free range in my room with Bilbo, they got on fine. After freeda sadly died Gypsy came home with us a few months later, they got on fine :D after Bilbo died I introduced a baby Storm to an adult Gypsy, discovered RU was told that this is not the usual way but it worked out OK after a few weeks ( phew ! ) but THEN there was that famous incident when I thought I'd be clever and rescue a 3rd and we know how that worked out :oops:

Rules can be broken sometimes :D it can work magic. it looks like magic is happening right here :love: YAY!

awww :D
They look so beautiful together:love:

I never knew what the rules were years ago. I just rescued a bunny and put them in my bedroom with another bunny and it always worked out :D Took disabled bunny freeda home to live free range in my room with Bilbo, they got on fine. After freeda sadly died Gypsy came home with us a few months later, they got on fine :D after Bilbo died I introduced a baby Storm to an adult Gypsy, discovered RU was told that this is not the usual way but it worked out OK after a few weeks ( phew ! ) but THEN there was that famous incident when I thought I'd be clever and rescue a 3rd and we know how that worked out :oops:

Rules can be broken sometimes :D it can work magic. it looks like magic is happening right here :love: YAY!

I gained a wonderful little Mini Lop called Nomad :love:

Well done Jane, they look lovely together. Can I send Katie and Cassie to you to sort out ;)

Katie goes against all rules too so I am trying the dating method and splitting as soon as anything starts. It did take 4 months with Homer and her so I am not expecting anything too soon with it being 2 girlies :lol:

Maybe you could let me know your method in case it would work with the girlies and I haven't tried it yet (I did leave them together for 36 hours but then had to split)

An initial attempt as per 'the rules' ie a small totally neutral enclosure away from other Rabbits ended in disaster. Dermot is a hump maniac and Aisling was having none of it. Both Rabbits have health issues, Aisling Dental Disease, Dermot a GI tract problem. So the last thing I wanted was for them to get too stressed.

I left them as next door neighbours and they would happily sleep pressed up against each other as long as there was a partition between them. Then after a few weeks I took the dividing panel between the enclosures out when I was in with them mucking out. There was some humping from Dermot but as long as I remained in the enclosure Aisling would chose to hop away from him rather than try to kill him. After a bit more time they both tended to settle in the same spot, slap bang in the middle of the two enclosures. So for increasing lengths of time I would confine them both to this area which they had decided was shared. I gradually moved the boundaries of the shared area outwards until the two enclosures became one without either of them noticing !!

So, no neutral territory, lots of being together, then separating, lots of hands on intervention (and endless chatter :oops:) from me.

It has probably taken me almost 3 months in total.

An initial attempt as per 'the rules' ie a small totally neutral enclosure away from other Rabbits ended in disaster. Dermot is a hump maniac and Aisling was having none of it. Both Rabbits have health issues, Aisling Dental Disease, Dermot a GI tract problem. So the last thing I wanted was for them to get too stressed.

I left them as next door neighbours and they would happily sleep pressed up against each other as long as there was a partition between them. Then after a few weeks I took the dividing panel between the enclosures out when I was in with them mucking out. There was some humping from Dermot but as long as I remained in the enclosure Aisling would chose to hop away from him rather than try to kill him. After a bit more time they both tended to settle in the same spot, slap bang in the middle of the two enclosures. So for increasing lengths of time I would confine them both to this area which they had decided was shared. I gradually moved the boundaries of the shared area outwards until the two enclosures became one without either of them noticing !!

So, no neutral territory, lots of being together, then separating, lots of hands on intervention (and endless chatter :oops:) from me.

It has probably taken me almost 3 months in total.

And it has worked perfectly!! I am so impressed and happy for them.

Sounds fine to me Jane. That is sort of what I am trying to do. Katie and Cassie do live next door with a partition and often lie adjacent, it is just when the get put together!

Anyway well done Jane, your hard work has paid off.

Back