• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what can cause

lucy24

Mama Doe
uneaten cecals? charlie has left them 2days in a row. im taking him to the vet for suspected respiritory issues later. can this cause it? ive noticed some small black poos too:? anything i can do to help him?

In my rabbits, I found it was too much pellets, once I cut their pellets down, they ate them again.

It could also be caused by being too fat as they can't turn to clean them off of them.

well i dont feed pellets everyday and when i do its a small amount as a treat. the rest of their diet is hay

Sounds like it's not really diet related if it's only just started and diet is mainly hay - I would ask vet personally as there may be something else causing it (medical)

The cause of uneaten caecals is usually diet (high carb and protein and not enough fibre) but in your case if the diet is predominantly hay its unlikley to be that unless you've just started a new batch of hay that might not agree with him! If you randomly fed him a handful of pellets particularly excel, than that might have caused it as Excel pellets have a bit of a reputation for that. Are the caecals properly formed or a bit squishy? If not diet related, the production of excess sticky caecotrophs could be a variety of things which would need additional diagnostics.

Back