• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lionheads - how much grooming

Lots and lots

I spend 15 to 30 mins a day. If I miss a day it's harder the day after and takes longer.

It's def worth it though I live them :)

It really depends on the rabbit and whether s/he has just the mane or if s/he is longhaired elsewhere too. It also depends on whether they are pure lionhead or if they have some longhaired, angora or wooly type rabbits in their line, because this will mean they need more grooming. I'd ask the rescue how much each rabbit needs, as it varies so much.

I'd like to groom my lionhead every 3 days or so, but she is very nervous and hates being touched, so I compromise. She knots/matts the worse on her fluffy bum, she has what looks like a skirt, so I have that trimmed short once or twice a year so it doesnt get long. I've managed to get her used to a few brief noserubs, so every couple of days I do this and have a quick sneaky feel of her mane to check there are no knots and to pull any hay out. If there arent any knots, she just gets a good groom about once a month, and if need be I cut knots out. Apart from her skirt and her mane her coat is normal length, silky and fine, so luckily she doesnt knot at all there, and she is very good at keeping herself clean. It helps that she is inside so doesnt get dirty, and I try and keep the megazorb I use for their litter trays covered with hay so it doesnt get stuck in her fur.

Its not ideal, but she just doesnt cope with handling.

Back