• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you help identify this please - PICS INCLUDED

kashiandmol

Young Bun
hi all

I've been having problems with my nethie. He's had problems with his eyes (which is finally getting better =)), but he has now got this dry skin around his genitals. I've been looking on the internet and it looks like it may be rabbit syphilis but I was wondering if anyone else has had a bun with this problem and what it turned out to be. He has a little dry skin on his nose as well and it definitely isn't myxi (that's been completely ruled out). I'm taking him to the vet at the end of the week but I was wanting to know if you have had a similar problem and if you did anything that didn't involve the vet that cleared it up, he absolutely hates going to vets and I don't like to distress him if I can avoid it. Please see the attached pics for an idea of what it is like. Sorry about the quality, will try and take some more later. It doesn't seem to be bothering him and I haven't noticed any discharge and it doesn't look particularly sore.

Any help will be greatly appreciated =)

Much love and binkies

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

It is hard to tell because the pics are so blurry but it could well be syphilis, is that a crusty yellow outer ring I see around the reddish part? Also if his nose and the tips of his ears are dry and scabby too that would suggest it almost definitely is syphilis as it is highly contagious and can be spread via cleaning from anus/genitals to mouth/nose area.

Syphilis is fatal if left untreated too long however it can be treated with a penicillin injection once a week for three weeks. This may not be a cure as symptoms can reoccur however it will certainly hold them off for a period and give your wee boy some relief.

Personally I would try and get him to the vet sooner as although they don't always display signs of pain rabbits do hide discomfort well. Plus you don't want the condition to progress.

Thanks for your reply. The crusty ring isn't really a yellow colour, looks more like dry skin than anything else. I know syphillis can be quite bad for rabbits but he's had this for a while now (a vet I took him to before couldn't fathom what it is so I'm trying a new recommended rabbit savvy vet) and also he lives with 2 females and neither of them have any thing like this (I check weekly as I checked they're scent glands as well). Would it not have spread to them or does him being castrated stop it from spreading? He doesn't have any dry skin on his ears, they're perfectly fine. I really don't think that he's in any pain, he's always running around, humping, and can be more active than my 6 month old (he's almost 5 years old). Is there anything else that it could be? When I type the symptoms in to google the only 2 suggestions it brings up is syphillis and myxi. It's getting very frustrating now lol once one thing clears up something else seems to rear it's head. I just want to make him completely well again with as little trips to the vets as possible.

Thanks =)

That looks just like my buns pro lapsed rectum, I did put a thread on here with pics but I'm on a mobile so can't find it. The dry skin is because its hanging out. We had to lubricate hers so it didn't dry out. She died but this was due to digestive problems so don't take that to mean anything. Lubricate the dry skin until you can get him to the vet

Hi thanks for sending me that link. His doesn't look that sore, the skin is still it's normal colour and there is no heat or discharge coming from it and he doesn't mind if I touch it. What did you use to lubricate it? At the mo I will try pretty much anything. As I've said it doesn't appear to be bothering him but I would much rather know that I am doing all I can to make sure that it isn't. BTW sorry to hear that Kushi got PTS =( that must have been hard. Really weird though becaused my little one is called Kakashi, we call him Kashi for short lol.

Thanks =)

She was completely unphased too. Vet said a ky jelly type lube (even after we went it was still out they were hoping it would just pop back in and just said keep it lubricated). Just rub a bit on ever couple of hours

Thank you for your thoughts and kakashi (kashi) is a lovely name

Do you know if any water based lubricant would do? Obviously it would have to be plain lol otherwise I think he'd have a field day lol. Would it be bad for him if he licked it off? I hear that a lot of people used sudocrem for a number of ailments/skin conditions with rabbits, do you think that this would help at all?

Thank you so much for your advice so far =) Sorry for me asking all these questions, I just want to do what's right for him. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and he is now nearly 5 years old so he really is like a child to me (sad, I know lol, but I don't have children and my rabbits are the closest thing I have at the mo to kids)

=)

the pics are difficult to see with them being blurry but one of my rabbits was really sore in the scent glads (the little pockets at each side of her bits) there was alot of white skin and it was sore...it looked like a fungal infection or something and really red. Anyway I tried loads of things...cleaning it, hibiscrub, antibiotics but in the end fusciderm cream cleared it up (and she lost some weight). It says on the box that fusciderm is used for wet eczema ao maybe if you search google images for wet eczema then you can see if it look similar.

Do you know if any water based lubricant would do? Obviously it would have to be plain lol otherwise I think he'd have a field day lol. Would it be bad for him if he licked it off? I hear that a lot of people used sudocrem for a number of ailments/skin conditions with rabbits, do you think that this would help at all?

Thank you so much for your advice so far =) Sorry for me asking all these questions, I just want to do what's right for him. I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and he is now nearly 5 years old so he really is like a child to me (sad, I know lol, but I don't have children and my rabbits are the closest thing I have at the mo to kids)

=)

Sorry I've only just managed to get back online, I'm not sure what the difference is between them, either way they'll lick it off, we just tried to distract her after putting it on
Usually I'm a fan of sudocream but as it's not skin it's flesh I'm not sure if it's suitable, no worries in the questions glad I can try and help and I know how precious they are :love:

Thanks so much for all of your advice =)

Lady Logamorph - where can I get this fusciderm cream from? That's not something I've tried yet and if it could help without the vets that would be great to try.

Reehsetin - I'm going to try the lubricant tonight, so fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it goes. Do you know how long it takes for it to be absorbed? Just so I can get an idea of how long he will be impatient with me for lol when I get him out all he wants to do is play with the others and doesn't like me when I try to interupt his play time lol.

Again thanks =) all this advice is brilliant

xx

Please do not treat your rabbit without vet advice, you could cause a lot more issues :wave:

As you dont know what you are dealing with any creams could potentially aggrivate the condition and make it worse, see a vet today if you can :wave:

Please do not treat your rabbit without vet advice, you could cause a lot more issues :wave:

As you dont know what you are dealing with any creams could potentially aggrivate the condition and make it worse, see a vet today if you can :wave:

Completely agree with Georgey, please take him to a rabbit savvy vet. Good luck :thumb:

I just want to do what's right for him.

If you want to do what's right for him, then please just take him to a vet where he can be properly diagnosed and treated, rather than you guessing and trying various medications which may not work or, even worse, may make it worse.

Thanks so much for all of your advice =)

Lady Logamorph - where can I get this fusciderm cream from? That's not something I've tried yet and if it could help without the vets that would be great to try.

Reehsetin - I'm going to try the lubricant tonight, so fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it goes. Do you know how long it takes for it to be absorbed? Just so I can get an idea of how long he will be impatient with me for lol when I get him out all he wants to do is play with the others and doesn't like me when I try to interupt his play time lol.

Again thanks =) all this advice is brilliant

xx

The vet prescribed me the cream...I agree with everyone else though you need to get to a vet.

Hi all

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your advice. I've found a brilliant rabbit savvy vet in Leeds and have taken him there tonight. I've found out he has rabbit syphillis which is easily treated and will be starting his course of penicillin injections on Wednesday (would be sooner but they need to get the medication and they aren't open over the bank holiday).

I know this is sad, but I'm so happy that it is syphillis. My previous vet told me it was myxi and I needed to put him down, I nearly cried.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Loves and binkies

Chrissy and Kakashi

ah, now i see.

nearly 2 years ago i took Lula to Natalie, she had a scabby nose which was causing concern and after a bit of research she was diagnosed with syphillis. it was Natalies first case of it but she ordered the penicillin and 2/3 injections later a few weeks apart she was all clear and it hasn't returned. my other 2 never caught it and it was sorted very quickly.

i'm really pleased that it is something treatable and not mixi, you must be so relieved. :D

Last edited:
I'm massively relieve =D

I think Natalie looked at your records to confirm that it was syphillis. She said she had treated a rabbit a couple of years ago with the same symptoms, just not as bad. And when I told her it was a woman called Jacqui that had recommended her she said 'oh this might be the same person as this is the only Jacqui that I have treated her rabbits for syphillis'. How weird is it that you recommend her and that it's your rabbit's record she was looking at to confirm...? lol.

I have to say Jacqui I owe you the biggest thank you ever for recommending her and taking your rabbit there too =)

Thanks

I'm massively relieve =D

I think Natalie looked at your records to confirm that it was syphillis. She said she had treated a rabbit a couple of years ago with the same symptoms, just not as bad. And when I told her it was a woman called Jacqui that had recommended her she said 'oh this might be the same person as this is the only Jacqui that I have treated her rabbits for syphillis'. How weird is it that you recommend her and that it's your rabbit's record she was looking at to confirm...? lol.

I have to say Jacqui I owe you the biggest thank you ever for recommending her and taking your rabbit there too =)

Thanks

strange how things work out isn't it? i had no idea what was wrong with Kashi when i recommended Natalie and it turned out to be something she had treated one of mine for.
so pleased you decided on that second opinion and it turned out to be a good choice.

hope Kashi has a speedy recovery. :D

Back