• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

using rear guard, have you had problems?

lauraandmike

Warren Scout
I've got some rearguard from the vets but I'm worried about using chemicals on a rabbit.

The bottle says there may be a reduction in appetite for 24-48 hours and also says dont use on rabbits intended for human consumption, i'm not going to eat my rabbits, but is sounds like nasty stuff!

i can check his bum everyday but theres always a chance of fly strike happeing.

Has anyone on here had a bad reaction to this stuff?

thanks laura
ill look for any replies when i get home tonight thanks

I used this on one of my buns last week as he had a 'mucky' botty. Was the first time I'd used it but it was ok and bunny was fine. I did find the bottle hard to use as had to press hard on the bunny to get any of the substence out. The best way I found was to press it in my hand then place the foam on the bunny exactly where it was needed - I did use gloves though. You'll have to try and keep bunny busy while they dry as they mustn't lick it off.

By the way, his mucky bum cleared up and was fine, turned out my hubby was secretly feeding apples and a number of treats to them without me knowing :roll: Needless to say he was 'told off'!! :lol:

I used it regularly for my Bridge bun Daisy and it definitely affected her appetite but for me it was better than her having fly strike. She did get fly strike once because she couldn't clean herself due to mobility problems. Fortunately, I discovered it in time because I checked on her every couple of hours but I started using Rear Guard as sometimes I can't leave work that often.

I don't use it for anybun now but may start with Dylan as he also has mobility problems if I see him getting a mucky bottom. At the moment he is coping OK with daily metacam.

thanks for your replies. I decided at work today not to use it, but now ive read what youve said im not sure! i searched other threads and alot of people dont use it on a healthy bun.... decisions decisions!

my two outside are covered with a kingsize mosquito net so they are fine, its just the indoor man

thanks for your help . laura

I also used Beaphar fly guard...i use one for my buns bottoms and one for their hutch. Never had any issues with this but it does have to be applied weekly unlike rear guard.

Back