• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eyes

kellimod

New Kit
My rabbit has had watering eyes for a while now. The vet has tried him with loads of different creams and drops, and said there is no sign of abcesses. He had a tear duct flush last week but still no change. Not sure what to do next.

It's possible it's his tooth roots growing too long in the skull. They can press into the tear duct and even block them completely. The only way to find out for sure if it's this is to have a skull x ray, although there is no treatment for it. It's just a case of keeping a close eye on things, a lot of the time it's just water coming out of the eye but they can become infected and then need treatment with antibiotic eye drops. The other thing that can help with this is keeping the molars short. Has he had his molars checked? Sometimes they can grow quite long and need to be burred down under general anaesthetic. Only your vet will be able to advise you on whether this might be the case. I try not to put my rabbit under general anaesthetic unless I really have to so when he was first diagnosed with elongated tooth roots it wasn't confirmed by x ray until much later when he had to go under anyway for a dental.

Other causes could be the type of bedding you're using. Sometimes wood shavings can cause problems with eyes. If you're using wood shavings I would advise swapping to something else. I just use fleece blankets and have newspaper and hay in a big litter tray.

How is he eating hay? If he doesn't eat much it generally points to teeth issues.

Thanks for your reply . He eats loads of hay. I will ask vet about a skull xray and see where we go from there. Hes a lionhead and Ive read they are prone to dental problems

Back