• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rearguard and testicles!

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I am assuming it is ok to apply Rearguard to an uncastrated male :? the skin wont be too sensitive will it?

Humphrey has a dirty bottom more often than not now adays :( I have a horrible feeling there may be a problem with his liver but he is fine in himself so don't want to put him through tests just yet

This is a bit vague :? :? Care should be taken in the treatment of old, sick or debilitated rabbits.

To be honest I have never used it. I do have several elderly (10+) and debilitated Rabbits. It really is a strong and nasty chemical. I would only use it if my Vets specifically told me to after they had actually examined the Rabbit themselves.

I don't usually, but humphs bum is a mess and with him not being castrated it is hard to kep every nook and cranny completely clean 24 hours a day :?

It is a difficult choice isnt it - well buns really dont need it and unwell buns might react to it.

If its any help we found Blackberry (severe EC kidneys failing) could not cope with it, but Thistle (snuffles) is fine with it.

Parsley was fine with it when he was still in possession of his plums!

We have had the occassional well bunny that just cannot stand it - Teasal came up in a rash and had to have it washed off.

Of my lot I only treat Thistle at the moment as she gets a sticky bottom and has no incisors.

It is a difficult choice isnt it - well buns really dont need it and unwell buns might react to it.

If its any help we found Blackberry (severe EC kidneys failing) could not cope with it, but Thistle (snuffles) is fine with it.

We have had the occassional well bunny that just cannot stand it - Teasal came up in a rash and had to have it washed off.

Of my lot I only treat Thistle at the moment as she gets a sticky bottom and has no incisors.

I know, personally I hate the stuff. It doesn't appear to be suitable at all for the rabbits that actually need the help :roll:

I hate bathing Humph because i am always worried I am going to rub his plums too hard :oops: He also gets his messiest over night. He is a house bunny so the risks are lower but i wanted to pop him in the garden for some fresh air this afternoon :?

This might be a stupid idea, but could you put the rearguard around the living accommodation?
I don't like using chemicals on my sheep so I paint the stuff round the sheep shed door and it seems to keep the flies out. I still have to check the sheep but they head for the shade of the shed when they get bothered by flies:thumb:

Thanks for the replies but I am no longer going to use it, Humph is so messy now he needs washing twice a day, so rearguard is useless :(

He has become so wobbly I am sure his liver is failing. We are trying fibreplex for a few days and if no improvement we are going to the vets

Hi, I have posted a recent thread and wondered if you had any advise as I searched on rear guarding and you had commented in the past about some bunnies not getting on with it.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...health-issue-help-needed&highlight=Rear+guard

Back