• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mammoth vet trip with 5 buns inc 2 frenchies for vaccs

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
ok its official....i have too many buns:lol: i had to get the animal ambulance lady gill to help me.....she had to lend me a very large cat carrier for big bunny baxter:oops::oops: i had to lug three carriers upstairs...fill with one bunny to each and get them downstairs again! put bluebell in the fabric carrier then i had to climb in the dog crate to get baxter who legged it..i caught him 3 times as he wriggled free...eventually got him picked him up and crated him. i needed a rest and a drink..but no time.Bless gill for lugging buns with me. only one carrier didnt fit in the special metal cage in the back so i had a carrier on my lap.

lugged the buns in.....and the room was so crowded gill stepped outside! i warned our vet ALL bunnies are in terrible moult...it was everywhere:oops:

lily,phoebe,hunnybunny (my mums bun ive adopted since mum died in march) and bluebell had the combined vaccine at £35 each.
Because Baxters myxi was done under 6 months ago...he just had the cylap one.
The vets have only had the new vaccine in stock for less than a month! My group make a good mix to report reactions etc on!

Baxter has been a worry as when we first got him he was wet either side of his jowls...but hes such a sloppy drinker often dribbling it all over himself...which bertie used to do too. So i wasnt too worried. Hed been stealing food off nikki as she lay propped up to eat on the bed settee...nikki has ME so doesnt sit up too long etc. He nicked a third of her vegan bacon sandwhich and a nice clump of her crisps..paprika ruffles and she was powerless to stop him..he did land in her plate!! by the time id run across lounge from kitchen loading dishwasher..hed scoffed it all. Long story short hed been on a diet...diet excel no treats...veggies give him stasis..obviously a bun who stole his owners snacks and meals as hes stolen 3 oven chips too.

Hed had a dicky tum so monitered him and upped his hay lowered his pellets even more. 24hrs later he was doing his big poops again. But not as big as he can do them and theyre not round...more eliptical! The dribbling water has made his dewlap fur stained and wet too..i tried to convinve myself it was just the way he drank......no it isnt.
He has a head too small for a frenchie and not boxy....horselike almost..i should have realised...........he has spurs or as she said little hooks. As hes eating ok and doing big poops again just to keep an eye on him. Shes loathe to do a dental for teent spurs...as it could result in regular dentals. i said lily has had 2 since i got her...a year apart! which is very unusual. but my bif bridge girlie once had three dentals in two months and another time...8 months apart.

she said to bring him back in a month to see unless obviously he gets worse. like poor lily did.

it took 3 of us to hold him still enough for the teeth check:oops: me holding his rear end....the nurse holding his shoulders and the vet looking in his mouth and holding his head!!

so i have watered and fed the buns and left them alone to recover...id completely cleaned out his dog crate and under it and that end of lounge...dust was thick white with many bunnyfur "tribbles". bluebell wanted to sleep in the dog bed which i needed to clean out cos of the wee...but im leaving her tonight. i fell asleep in afternoon..only 3hrs sleep last night..on the go cleaning his area and ferrying bunnys back n forth. ive woken up hardly able to move arms..both shoulders feel likeive injured them..i hit my bad was infected blood leg on a metal hinge on bed settee...so im in agony with achilles tendon etc too...this has made me adament i will pay call out fee for buns next vaccs!!!!!

so i now have 3 dental buns and i know hunnybunnys had teeny hooks for a year.

i hope more hay helps but at the mo dust free stalky hay is very short and thin. i used non dust free hay..my allegic reactions were horrific. back to dust free hay!

i will report any side effects of jab....and any follow up.....i know not everyone is keen on this combo jab but i have to give it a go...less stressful having one jab instead of 2 2 weeks apart. but cover hopefully will be enough.

How did you decide you had too many buns beside being overdrawn like me cos of petplan!!!

What a feat. :shock:

I will be interested to see how the combo ones goes.

Dentals are a funny thing with buns. Both of mine have had dentals. Cutie-pies was over a year ago now. Her teeth are considered not great at all but so far she has been fine. Have to wait and see with Mr Bennett, I think his was about 6 weeks ago.

So weird for nearly 14 years I have had bunnies and none needed a dental until last year.

Haven't seen you for ages, hope you are ok. xxx

My buns had the combo one yesterday too. Fingers and paws crossed none of our buns have reactions x

Have you checked out PAH pet insurance? I got quoted £35 a month for Lindon by Petplan but £7 a month from PAH with same cover. :D

Last edited:
Ooh, I don't envy you one bit! We've decided to get the separate jabs for our buns but only cos they're little and it'll be their first jabs. :)

I have to get a friend to help me when I take two buns to the vet as I always take their companions too and I can't physically manage four bunnies.

If I have more than four buns being vaccinated at the same time the vet will come to me - much less stressful, although I have started having them done when I take them in for something else as it spreads the cost then. Having eleven buns done all at once does scary things to my overdraft.

:oops: my gods it was a long post!! im sooooo sorry:oops::shock::wave:

its weird how buns need em at times that defies expectations of you and the vet! im coping...just hun..youre back in ole blighty then...;) x

hmm im considering double checking pah for buns with no conditions cept dentals on their historys. And if petplan still put me down over bluebell and mixed up cancelled policies then ill change anyway...gits!! the one good thing is they do make direct payments to vets tho.

karen hun...youd need a bloomin transit van!!!:lol::lol: my overdrafts almost at the ceiling again and the vaccs are on the emergency credit card......everyone tuts at me for having so many:( but each one is a connection to another for company....and of course orphan hunnybunny:( the cats ditto.....but the vet id asked for is so understanding and tells me im not an animal hoarder:lol::lol:

in a perfect world all the little buns would be bonded together and the two biggies bonded together.....or even all of them!! poor cats!!! poor furniture/paperwork/clothes/anything not safe in a plastc lidded box!!:lol:

still you never know:shock::roll::roll:

I was chuckling away at your post because this is pretty much me and my gang :oops::lol: . It's a military operation isn't it? ;). And the bucking bronco , that's Hattie having her teeth checked! She flips, and tries to eat the scrope and the vet is like ' urrhh year her teeth look good. ' I always have to make sure my husband or my dad is free to help. A) I can't get 7 bunnies ( 2 of which are giants in a dog crate) in my Ford ka so have to borrow one of their car's and B) I need help carrying the giants into the surgery as combined they weigh about 15kgs :oops::lol:

I was pleased with my bill this year, the five had the new jab ( other 2 had already been done earlier in the year as soon as I got them and didn't know about this jab) and I took £120 and came back with a bottle of metacam and change lol Only a bunny owner could be excited about that fact ' eh? :lol::lol::lol:

omg yes baxter was EXACTLY like that!! bluebell normally is too but she lets her guard down with that vet. Baxter made us all exhausted hot n sweaty and therefore covered in bunny moultings!! we looked like 3 yetis!:lol:

mm yes you win..hands down!!

blimey glad i changed my mind over those giant youngsters and got baxter whos near to bluebells age....id have liked to see her push them around tho:shock::lol: baxter doesnt do too bad sticking up for himself lately....hes not having her nonsense...shes not giving into him either...well actually she did..he chased her across lounge..no attacking just told her to get lost cos shed chased dylan kitty and baxters very fond of dylan...hes upset none of the cats are 100% at ease with him tho..hangs his head like eyeore then looks back at me..aww bless him. hes a big bun of very little brain and a bigger belly!! but hes about 5.2kg i think she said...bertie was 5.6kg to 6kg as his weight bounced around. but baxter is long..bertie was true stocky frenchie buck. thankfully baxter still isnt as long or as tall as our willow was...she was mistaken for a dog many times...her frenchie genes got overrun by any giant in her bloodline vet reckoned...cos she was still growing longer and taller just before she died just before she turned 2.

big buns are great for some things...but medicating...travelling with isnt good!! combined weight of two frenchies being not far off 11kg was bad enough!

ah but dont we all love our bunnies on here;):thumb: im going to have to call my house the warren with the lounge being burrow number one...my room burrow number two and nikkis room burrow number three...right now i need an extractor fan and an air purifier....for the fur.....atishoo!!! gods how dumb do you feel when you get out the vets and realise your eyebrows are wearing rabbit fur plumes!!! and theyve attached to your eyelashes!:lol:

Back