• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine Scald

cara

Alpha Buck
My new rescue rabbit has, we think, urine scald.

I believe he was horribly affected initially all over his underside, but he has improved immensely. However, a sore crusty area has remained around his genitals and tail. His genitals look very swollen - in fact having had rabbits for many years, they look quite odd to me :?

Following a vet appointment, he has had metacam today along with 2 x hibiscrub (sp?) washes (morning and evening) and 2 x application of dermisol. Hopefully we can get this under control.

Teddy has also been very overweight but he has lost some weight thankfully.

He is eating, pooing and weeing normally. Can anybody offer any other advise or tips on treating this condition please?

I have a bunny who is prone to urine scald through a number of issues.

I found that hibiscrub was quite harsh when cleaning her flower area. I found that dilute iodine can work better, so just keep an eye for the redness in the area not going away or getting worse.

I have not used dermisol cream before but seems to be similar to fusciderm / flammazine which I have used.

Basically I wash Inca's sore area with dilute iodine using cotton wool, dry her off by patting with dry cotton wool. Then apply the cream. I do this before I give her her dinner so that I can distract her from licking the cream off. I do this twoce a day when the area is sore looking. Once the area has healed up she does get slightly sore from time to time. When that happens I clean her and apply sudocrem, it is not as harsh as the other creams but helps combat the initial stages of scald :)

Also what I find helps is if bunny is wet below then kinda pat / blot them dry with a soft clean towel throughout the day, this picks up most of the wet from the fur and lets them clean themselves better.

Good luck

K x

Knowing Kermit well and her dedication to keeping Inca comfortable I would do exactly as she says!:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for replies. Will keep an eye on the hibiscrub which I dilute 1 to 4 parts water. You have given me hope!

Thanks for asking.

Actually I started a new thread - basically with the daily treatment (hibiscrub and Dermisol) he improved no end, the crust and the smell went and the fur began to grow back.

We still checked him every 1-2 days and found the crust (and smell) had returned after a week or so.

Have contacted the rescue to get more info on his medical treatment whilst at the rescue as I want to be sure it is not a urinary problem. They are still of the opinion it is weight related - left over folds of skin etc., but have suggested I take him in again next Monday to at least test his wee.

Should be fun getting the sample :?

The vet should be able to express his bladder for a sample. If you get a sample from a litter tray it has been in contact with the air and is not as good a sample.

They could easily just treat him for the urinary infection and see if it helps.

Might just be a thing that you have to clean him underneath and apply cream every couple of days. I need to clean Inca every day.

What is Inca's problem?

I don't mind caring for Teddy's condition (if it is long term) although I could not do it without my husband - how on earth single people manage, I do not know! My problem is if I am on holiday etc. I really don't have anybody savvy enough (or brave enough!) to do this. Obviously basic needs are alway taken care of.

What do you do, if you cannot be there to spruce Inca up?

What is Inca's problem?

I don't mind caring for Teddy's condition (if it is long term) although I could not do it without my husband - how on earth single people manage, I do not know! My problem is if I am on holiday etc. I really don't have anybody savvy enough (or brave enough!) to do this. Obviously basic needs are alway taken care of.

What do you do, if you cannot be there to spruce Inca up?

Inca is deformed at her back end (her tail bone kinds sticks under her and presses on her lady bits, so she has no actual tail), she has arthritis, curved spine and has had EC with associated hind leg weakness in the past. Because of all this her lady bits get sore as they kinda stick out, she is also prone to UTI (Urinary Tract Infections), but all it is mostly managed fine with Metacam and cleaning :)

I clean her myself all the time, she is a VERY placid rabbit and would basically let me do anything to her. I can hold her in the air with one hand and clean under her and she doesn't even struggle. OH says that she just knows that I am helping her.

When I am away I just have to get my mum to give her Metacam and she also does minimal cleaning. I just get my mum to wipe her underneath with cotton wool soaked in dilute iodine. My mum can't lift her up but she kinda gets a bit of a clean with the cotton wool.

Bo is pretty much incontinent now for reasons unknown after his bladder stone removal. I fill the sink a little and add mild rabbit shampoo and place a towel on the bottom. I them pop Bo in the sink and give him a wash with cotton wool. I then put him in an old washing up bowl with clean water to rinse him! He then his wrapped in a towel and cuddled for a while before being dried with a hairdryer.

Kermit - you are very dedicated. I have never had a placid rabbit before - all have been feisty when needing personal/medical care. She sounds like a dream to care for!

Canidae - I have also given buns a bottom bath in the past :roll: but I could never have done it on my own! :thumb:

Hoping Teddy's bladder won't need expressing for a sample and he performs on cue!

Back