• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serious question re Rabbits

BertramBun

Alpha Buck
I am coming up to retirement soon, and wondering whether the time is approaching when I may be able to look after a couple of lovely bunnies. However, before committing myself, I want to think out with great care whether I would be able to give them the space, care and attention that they would need.

We live in a corner plot, and the only available grass patch is s at the side of the house, separated from the main road only by a thick hedge. Might the noise from the road be too frightening? I could of course build a predator-proof hutch and run, but as space is limited it could probably not be moved around. We could probably keep dogs out, but I don't believe that a cat-proof garden is possible.

Having them in the house is probably not an option as I am horribly house-proud and have a lot of quite good old furniture etc. I'd also be worried about protecting them from electric cables etc.

It's difficult. Having been a member of RU for a couple of years, I would not DARE to have any bunnies unless I could really look after them properly. :oops:

I'd probably also need to keep in mind the cost factor and keep some money in reserve. We could probably manage to budget about £1000 per year, as we don't smoke or take foreign holidays (though we are going on a coach tour to Flanders this summer). Would this be about right for a pair of buns?

Your accommOdation ideas sound grand (cats, road and all).

Would you consider insuring? That would likely help greatly financially.

It sounds like you could offer a lovely caring home xx

The RSPCA in Wallasey (about 50 mins from you) have some that have been there a while and sound lovely :cry:

Back