• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah is in pain and refusing food. U/D P28 - coming home today

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
He's really not happy at the moment.

He ate his tea of grass and dandelions, most of it anyway, but not with much enthusiasm. He didn't do his usual routine of laps when I took the pellets at 9.15 pm, but I did see him with his head in his dish about 5 minutes later.

He's barely touched the Excel - it should be 3/4 gone by now. About 1/2 hour ago he was laid in his litter tray and he's looked very sorry for himself since :cry::cry::cry: He did a full roll over as well, which is a very definite pain sign for Elijah. I'm not sure when to ring the vets, depends on if he carries on as at present, not my usual vets as they don't do OOH on Monday, so it will be local vets for him.

Any "not serious" or "sort itself out" vibes would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks Helen.

I took him to the vets as he was in a lot of pain :cry:

The vet couldn't feel anything suggestive of an obstruction. He's kept him in for pain meds, syringe feeding etc. He will ring me with the blood glucose reading because I was a bit OCD about knowing what it was (just a shame I can't do the reading myself :roll:).

My guess is it is between 15 and 17 as he was subdued as well as obviously being in pain. It could go up of course because he's only been showing symptoms for a couple of hours.

Thanks the 3 of you for the vibes.

Vet's just rung to say blood glucose is 17 :cry::cry: I really hope it doesn't go any higher. I'm worried sick for him. I don't think there is any fresh poop (as in last 5 hours or so) in his litter tray - he usually pops a big pile out in the evening, so that's not a good piece of additional evidence :cry:

For those who don't know re blood glucose. Normal is 4 - 8, start to worry if it's 15+ and likely to be full blockage if it's around 20.

Poor Elijah :cry:

To be honest putting lots of emphasis on Blood Glucose levels can actually be more of a hindrance than a help re our stress !! It is of course a very useful diagnostic tool, but it needs to be viewed in conjunction with other findings. I say this because since having a Glucose monitor here I have had 2 Rabbits in stasis who had readings of over 20 :shock: :cry: Obviously we were straight to the Vets, me absolutely convinced we were dealing with an obstructed guts. This despite no other 'real' evidence of obstruction when I examined them. Both our Vets agreed when they had a feel and a listen. Needless to say neither Rabbit had obstructed and whilst they were very poorly they both recovered with non surgical treatment.

So, what I am trying to say is try not to think the worst based on the blood glucose reading alone !!

Loads of vibes for Elijah and I hope he can come home later today xx

Thanks everyone.

The news from the vet is "he's holding his own" :shock: Now that phrase to me is used when somebody is seriously ill and made it through the night *gulp*. I don't actually think he meant it in such a serious context but it scared me.

Elijah isn't eating yet, no poop either :cry: He's on painkillers, Domperidone etc and being syringe fed. Vet says he doesn't feel bloated etc like he would at this stage if there was a blockage. He's considering doing an x-ray later (this is where I don't think he can be seriously concerned as the x-ray would have happened by now, surely? :?) I've taken him a food parcel with raspberry leaves etc and can visit him at 3.30 this afternoon. I'm really worried but trying to be rational, I got in a right state when Esme was there, simply because she wasn't in the care of our usual vets. Hopefully if he doesn't seem too bad this afternoon I'll feel better but I am scared that he's got some underlying problem. He has been out of sorts for about a week but nothing you could really make anything of.

Anyhow, thanks for the vibes :love:

Poor Elijah :cry:

To be honest putting lots of emphasis on Blood Glucose levels can actually be more of a hindrance than a help re our stress !! It is of course a very useful diagnostic tool, but it needs to be viewed in conjunction with other findings. I say this because since having a Glucose monitor here I have had 2 Rabbits in stasis who had readings of over 20 :shock: :cry: Obviously we were straight to the Vets, me absolutely convinced we were dealing with an obstructed guts. This despite no other 'real' evidence of obstruction when I examined them. Both our Vets agreed when they had a feel and a listen. Needless to say neither Rabbit had obstructed and whilst they were very poorly they both recovered with non surgical treatment.

So, what I am trying to say is try not to think the worst based on the blood glucose reading alone !!

Loads of vibes for Elijah and I hope he can come home later today xx

Thanks Jane. when one of your bunnies (can't remember who except it was 'he') had a blood glucose of 20? 22? and he was given metaclopramide etc and was really well the following day, it was really reassuring for me that a high reading doesn't spell disaster. I think losing Dot the way I did has repercussions stress-wise every time there's a similar scenario.

Thanks everyone.

The news from the vet is "he's holding his own" :shock: Now that phrase to me is used when somebody is seriously ill and made it through the night *gulp*. I don't actually think he meant it in such a serious context but it scared me.

Elijah isn't eating yet, no poop either :cry: He's on painkillers, Domperidone etc and being syringe fed. Vet says he doesn't feel bloated etc like he would at this stage if there was a blockage. He's considering doing an x-ray later (this is where I don't think he can be seriously concerned as the x-ray would have happened by now, surely? :?) I've taken him a food parcel with raspberry leaves etc and can visit him at 3.30 this afternoon. I'm really worried but trying to be rational, I got in a right state when Esme was there, simply because she wasn't in the care of our usual vets. Hopefully if he doesn't seem too bad this afternoon I'll feel better but I am scared that he's got some underlying problem. He has been out of sorts for about a week but nothing you could really make anything of.

Anyhow, thanks for the vibes :love:

Thanks Jane. when one of your bunnies (can't remember who except it was 'he') had a blood glucose of 20? 22? and he was given metaclopramide etc and was really well the following day, it was really reassuring for me that a high reading doesn't spell disaster. I think losing Dot the way I did has repercussions stress-wise every time there's a similar scenario.

Yes, that was Michael. I was absolutely convinced he had obstructed. The only thing to point to this was the Blood Glucose reading of 22. Whilst he was clearly in gut stasis there was nothing from half hourly abdominal examination to indicate a blockage. No bloat at all, there were even a few tinkering gut sounds.

I am not saying that a very high blood glucose is not cause for concern, just that it cant be taken as a stand alone diagnostic tool. Poor C not only had to cope with poorly Michael but also with me and my total freaked outness about him having obstructed when he hadn't :oops:

Loads more vibes for Elijah xx

I've only just seen this.

Poor little lad, I'm so sorry to hear that he's poorly :(

Sending loads of vibes for Elijah. xxx

Back