• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weak carpal tendons in front limbs

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Hi,

Sorry to post again for more advice but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

I noticed when I got Falon that her front legs were slighted splayed aside so it looked like she was in a ballerina stance.

I took her to the vet for her Myxi jab today and asked the vet. He said it looked like she had weak carpal tendons and mentioned something I can't remember (could have been carpaltendonitis or something). Anyway, he said that he wasn't sure what would come of it - whether her limbs would strengthen naturally with age or whether she would be a disabled bun who would have leg troubles. I said that at the moment, she is very mobile and although she does lean slightly forward, she does not appear troubled by it. She can jump very well and land well onto the front paws. I asked if she could have physio or something and the vet just said that all they could probably do is put metal implants in her legs but that would be a last chance saloon really as he didn't want to put her under.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

There are so many bunnies with leg issues, they really manage to cope very well with what life throws at them.

I would recommend that if your bun is managing to get about ok and showing no signs of struggling then leave as is.

I have a girl with a deformed back end, arthritis and spondolysis, she manages with daily Metacam. She needs that as she is clearly struggling without it.

Thanks Kermit.

I am now panicking slightly about giving them Panacur just in case.

Does anyone else their rabbits? Mine live outside but come in and out during the day.

Back