• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is letargic and won't eat!

My 11 year old rabbit is very lethargic and will not eat or drink anything. He walks around a little but lies back down quickly. We tried feeding him his favorite foods but he won't even look at it. He recently finished some medication for GI problems and I'm wondering if its a side effect of that or maybe its because he's old and maybe just his time. Please tell me!

I'm sorry to hear your bunny is so ill. Right now he needs to see a vet, from the sounds of it. They will be able to assess the situation more.

thank you

Thanks for your help, we're going to wait a bit because we took him to the vet a week and a half ago and he was perfectly fine. If he gets any worse we'll take him.

A rabbit who will not eat anything could be dead in 24 hours. Sorry to be blunt.
They are not like dogs or cats who can be okay with a day or two without food, like Sky-O said they go down hill very fast. Due to their digestive system if they stop eating it can cause gastric stasis where the gut just shuts down, this means they cannot eat again without a gut mobility drug from the vets.

There are also many problems that could be the cause such as teeth causing pain but only a vet will really be able to find this out.

Obviously it is your decision what you do, but my advice and the advice of most people on this forum will be that your rabbit needs a vet tonight.

Hope your bun is ok :(

Me daisy has had two bouts of stasis (last one was yesterday) and both times I have had her at the vets within an hour of he being 'off' you just cant hang around...she has bounced back really well both times but she is very young and we caught it super early both times...please take your bun to the vet ASAP.

He's okay!

We gave him a bit of water in a syringe and he took it. He started to stand up and look normal! My mom's boyfriend was like, lets hope we don't have to take him to the vet! As soon as my bunny heard that he walked to his food dish and started eating again! He must remember how much he hates the vet :)
Now hes acting just like he usually does!

Back